News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

The latter of the two is a super interesting project. It was initially intended to be the new City Market, after the 'new' 97th Street location between 101A and 102 Avenues showed signs faltering. When the Alberta Hotel and Rothesay Apartments were disassembled in 1983 and '84 that's actually where they were supposed to wind up. Likewise with the old Post Office clock tower, which was disassembled; obviously it never came to be and the Hotel and Apartments wasted away for decades until Dub found them, and the clock pieces were sold for use in an architectural memorial at the Evergreen Grave Yard in NE Edmonton.

National Portrait Gallery addition to Stationlands
1581381343029.png

I found this attached to a news article. Perhaps it will help others find a better version.

A different angle:
1581449564787.png

Attachments

• 1581449514863.png
    1581449514863.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Are you talking about the supposed third section expansion that never happened ? That would be cool.. Can't wait for Winspear !!!
There's a little model of Canada Place resting on a table in a plexiglas display case at the 10th floor elevator lobby that shows how the building was supposed to look when completed with all three sections. The northernmost section of the building was supposed to be the tallest; as it is now, it's only four stories. Nevertheless, I'm very excited for the Winspear expansion; perhaps it'll distract from the blank pink wall on the northern face of CP that isn't supposed to be there lol.

There's a little model of Canada Place resting on a table in a plexiglas display case at the 10th floor elevator lobby that shows how the building was supposed to look when completed with all three sections. The northernmost section of the building was supposed to be the tallest; as it is now, it's only four stories. Nevertheless, I'm very excited for the Winspear expansion; perhaps it'll distract from the blank pink wall on the northern face of CP that isn't supposed to be there lol.
I'd love to see a picture of that model

Are you talking about the supposed third section expansion that never happened ? That would be cool.. Can't wait for Winspear !!!

If you tried to add the third tower section to Canada Place it would be hard to match the appearance after all these years. I've always hoped that down the road, when there's a re-cladding like Scotia Place or HSBC, it is combined with a build-out to complete the original vision, which I always liked the look of...

Does anyone have a picture of the modell of Canada Place' 3rd section to post, or drawings? Thnx ( :
The model is being displayed on a table in the 10th floor elevator lobby, but it's now closed to the public. I've been working from home since the 19th, but when I get back to the office once this pandemic situation is over, I'll post a photo in this thread.

It looks the same as the other sections, only taller. The north entrance would be identical to the south face on Jasper Avenue. There would be no blank pink walls.

I'd only be interested in the Canada Place expansion/completion if it also means they open up 97 street with retail.
That may be a possibility someday. When the lease expires for the Service Canada Centre and Passport office, they will be consolidated into one. If one space or the other is not big enough for the new consolidated office, it will move to another building, which means the ground level offices on the east side of Canada Place could be easily retrofitted for street access retail.

I've searched far and wide for this and can't find it. I saw it online years ago. Still searching and asking.
Here's a tiny rendering of it from the December 11th, 1984 issue of the Journal. Take note of the unbuilt circular building to the left — that was supposed to be the City's contribution to the project in the form of a new business hotel. I've been on the prowl for a larger picture but so far haven't found any.
Edmonton_Journal_Tue__Dec_11__1984_.jpg

Back