What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
28-storey condo tower proposed for Wild Earth Bakery site on 99 Street
The family of longtime Old Strathcona grocer Tubby Bateman is proposing to demolish the store he once owned and a nearby cafe to build a 28-storey condo tower.

Bateman started what became a chain of IGA outlets in 1932 with a shop at 99 Street and 89 Avenue, a corner that now has Wild Earth Bakery and Cafe, and Wild Earth Foods next door.

The bakery structure was put up in the 1940s and Bateman constructed the food store in 1957, Tom Burr, One Properties’ vice-president of multi-family development, said Tuesday.

“The existing buildings on the site are really nearing the end of their economic life, and it’s at a point where redevelopment is the only viable option.”

Family-owned Bateman Properties and One Properties want to erect a tower with about 220 units ranging in size from studios to nine three-bedroom suites, Burr said.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business...posed-for-wild-earth-bakery-site-on-99-street

Interesting proposal. I see it moving forward -8 floors or so.

Proposed rezoning of properties in Strathcona
March 15, 2017

You are invited to a Public Open House to discuss a proposed rezoning in Strathcona at 8904 & 8920 - 99 Street NW and 9922, 9924 & 9926 - 89 Avenue NW.

Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. (Drop-in, no scheduled presentation)
Location: King Edward School, 8530 - 101 Street NW, Edmonton, AB

The proposed rezoning would accommodate a mixed use tower with commercial uses at ground level and residential units above. The proposed change in zoning is from the (CNC) Neighbourhood Convenience Commercial Zone and (RA7) Low Rise Apartment Zone to a (DC2) Site Specific Development Control Provision. The proposal includes:

• 95 metres in height (approximately 31 storeys)
• 240 dwellings
• 6.5 Floor Area Ratio
• Commercial uses at the ground level on the east portion facing 99 Street NW and 89 Avenue NW
• Townhouse style dwellings on the west portion facing 89 Avenue NW
• Underground parking

An application has also been made to close a portion of the lane west of 99 Street NW to accommodate the proposed development. Traffic flow from the east-west lane to 90 Avenue NW will be maintained. Vehicles will still be able to access the site from 89 Avenue NW, but this would be on a private lane and no longer on a City owned lane.

In addition, an application has been made to amend the Strathcona Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) to change current policy that does not support development of this height at this location.

The City is looking for your input on the proposed rezoning.

Media contact:
Amber Medynski
Communications Advisor
Development Services, Sustainable Development
780-508-9528

Think this will go through? For some reason I imagine the community kicking and screaming on this one...

Perhaps it has been living in the shadow of other larger projects that have been in the media.

@westcoastjos I foresee a lot of that as well, but council has been very pro-intensification, particularly for well-designed buildings. No doubt One will present another winner here. What remains to be seen is if this goes to council before October, and if not, what the next council will look like.

For new tower development South of the river, I'd much rather see it happening between 104 and 109 Street north of Whyte.

@westcoastjos I foresee a lot of that as well, but council has been very pro-intensification, particularly for well-designed buildings. No doubt One will present another winner here. What remains to be seen is if this goes to council before October, and if not, what the next council will look like.
Indeed. If this goes ahead, and Holyrood re-development, I think this part of the city will be revitalized in many ways in 10-15 years. That grouped with the future LRT would make both Bonnie Doon and the Walmart development out on 50th look a lot more healthy in the future.

Sorry, Capilano, which is further east, but it would be the closest one for folks in this area.

C7da_0oX0AAZLdl.jpg:large

C7da_05WwAwTBin.jpg:large

C7da_2jWkAE833L.jpg:large

City of Edmonton @CityofEdmonton 2 hours ago
Don’t forget there is an open house tomorrow March 22 from 6:30-8:30 p.m to talk about a rezoning in Strathcona. http://ow.ly/RAPu30a79O2 pic.twitter.com/KRXz7n8ZEp

Back