Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I have a hard time believing a word Transed says. How many piers had structural issues originally according to them? It was 8 wasn't it? then ended up like 38? Let's not count their promised opening dates too that have come nad went numerous times.

i have a hard time believing the cracks that show in rod muldaner's twitter photo are “...two small non-structural surface cracks at the corners of a construction joint between two concrete pours..." per transed's statement:

Fmyn3lyaAAA6CBU.jpg

the vertical cracking and spalling and exposing of rebar down the centre of the pier where the load is greatest doesn't look like non-structural expansion cracks at a re-entrant corner to me. but what do i know, i'm just a dumb developer. :(

It's interesting in the article Transed says they have to wait for warmer weather to epoxy the cracks - it's warmer weather going to bring melting snow, which leads to water ingress into said cracks, and then a bunch of freeze thaw cycles. Isn't that just going to lead to more cracking and spalling?

It's interesting in the article Transed says they have to wait for warmer weather to epoxy the cracks - it's warmer weather going to bring melting snow, which leads to water ingress into said cracks, and then a bunch of freeze thaw cycles. Isn't that just going to lead to more cracking and spalling?
My thoughts similar. They had no issue using tarped up scaffolding with frost fighters to epoxy and repair the other piers.

My thoughts similar. They had no issue using tarped up scaffolding with frost fighters to epoxy and repair the other piers.
They just put more scaffolding and tarps up in the last week around the two piers between Argyll and Coronet roads so why not just address this issue near the station too? Makes no sense, but I've stopped trying to apply logic to how Transed operates.

i have a hard time believing the cracks that show in rod muldaner's twitter photo are “...two small non-structural surface cracks at the corners of a construction joint between two concrete pours..." per transed's statement:

View attachment 451432

the vertical cracking and spalling and exposing of rebar down the centre of the pier where the load is greatest doesn't look like non-structural expansion cracks at a re-entrant corner to me. but what do i know, i'm just a dumb developer. :(
Though I’m not there to assess the integrity of the beam myself, I am forced to agree with you. That looks like two shear cracks moving diagonally away from the load and a flex crack right at the midpoint - which is precisely where one would expect those things to be if a structure’s strength to handle it’s load was in question.

Can anyone tell me what gives a concrete structure it’s strength?

I didn’t think the city were using salt only gravel
They quit using Calcium Chloride (Brine) in the city, however they are more often than not dumping pure road salt on the roads. You'll see the pink stuff where a truck has stopped and hasn't turned off the feeder fully - that's road salt. They used to use more gravel than salt back in the day, but ever since they had that sand recycling fiasco there has been a significant increase in the use of salt from what I've seen.

They quit using Calcium Chloride (Brine) in the city, however they are more often than not dumping pure road salt on the roads. You'll see the pink stuff where a truck has stopped and hasn't turned off the feeder fully - that's road salt. They used to use more gravel than salt back in the day, but ever since they had that sand recycling fiasco there has been a significant increase in the use of salt from what I've seen.
I've been told the exact same thing. They introduced the sand recycling program as the Edmonton area was running out of cheap sand, and when that audit revealed it to be a sham, they immediately moved to piloting brine and using multitudes more salt and sometimes almost no sand.

Back