Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

The inlay of concrete and the extra drilled rebar isn't ideal but should look fine at the end of the day.

The external steel belt support... My god. Trans Ed must be taking some kind of hit for that if it is to be permanent right? This is brand new infrastructure.

The inlay of concrete and the extra drilled rebar isn't ideal but should look fine at the end of the day.

The external steel belt support... My god. Trans Ed must be taking some kind of hit for that if it is to be permanent right? This is brand new infrastructure.

The tensioning belts are not what I would consider a delivered finished project. These particular piers need to be taken down and rebuilt and anything less should call for a public outcry.

Surely it should be obvious that delaying the opening of the line even further and properly replacing the affected piers is the best solution, instead of paying millions in lawsuits when one of them gives way with a train above it and people die. Seriously, TransEd should be held criminally accountable for endangering lives because of their cheapness…

I had a family friend who was a structural engineer conducting inspections on a newly-built underground parking garage in Ontario, and he said the whole place would’ve collapsed if it was allowed to open, because of the willingness of the contractor to save a few dollars here and there in exchange for endangering lives.

The public needs to be made aware of the severity of this criminal negligence, and there needs to be an outcry.

What weight can these piers with belts handle? What if these repaired piers have further defects after opening?

I think of the mindbender rollercoaster at West Edmonton Mall (let's hope this doesn't happen) after opening.

Last edited:

I was wondering about this as well. I don't know if there is some sort of substantial completion that is signed off by the City, but there is no way they should be accepting of this.

1669513644960.png
1669513951078.png

That's before they start to get rusty and what is with that perfect asphalt road - no potholes or cracks. It must be a picture from somewhere else.

Well right now I want to see the train in service so I'm not as as worried bout the looks. What good is a pretty looking system if it's not working.
I'm worried about the aesthetics because this city deserves far better than this garbage bandaid solution--but I can also accept a solution potentially coming at a later date (within <3 years) if it means they'll get this line operational this spring.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is possible without taking the it offline for a few weeks/months, as it appears the only proper solution is replacing the piers.

Back