Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

When will the Valley Line West LRT begin construction in downtown and Oliver?
It's almost winter - nothing is happening other than the never-ending sewer construction on 104 Ave near 112 St.

I drove by this morning, looks like the construction is finally completed. They just need to get rid of the orange barricades to re-open 104 Ave.

Dang.
FfNn9vFaAAEUNLs

Another one of them nearby (maybe right next to it) is surrounded by hoarding and covered with a rep tarp.

Last edited:
Looks like the tracks are shut down between the top of connors hill and Bonnie Doon now. Barricades in place at the top of the hill along with a stop sign and a ground cables. There was 2 2 car trains sitting at the top of the hill today on my way home from work. Grounding cables in place at the Bonnie Doon crossovers as well. Wonder what's broken now?

Looks like the tracks are shut down between the top of connors hill and Bonnie Doon now. Barricades in place at the top of the hill along with a stop sign and a ground cables. There was 2 2 car trains sitting at the top of the hill today on my way home from work. Grounding cables in place at the Bonnie Doon crossovers as well. Wonder what's broken now?
I saw trains testing on the hill, tonight, around 8pm. 2 two-car consists running side-by-side from the top of the hill (I guess where the barricades are) to Muttart. My understanding is that the 2 trains running next to each other is done to test the TPSS' capacity to supply trains at peak demand. based on that, i'd assume they were stress-testing the power supplies for the hill. maybe the TPSS by Muttart was the one being tested, hence isolatin the one at the top of the hill via grounding cables?

I saw trains testing on the hill, tonight, around 8pm. 2 two-car consists running side-by-side from the top of the hill (I guess where the barricades are) to Muttart. My understanding is that the 2 trains running next to each other is done to test the TPSS' capacity to supply trains at peak demand. based on that, i'd assume they were stress-testing the power supplies for the hill. maybe the TPSS by Muttart was the one being tested, hence isolatin the one at the top of the hill via grounding cables?
The TPSS are already isolated from one another by section isolators in the overhead. Muttart probably does power Connors Road, the Strathern sub probably powers 95 Ave and 85 St to Bonnie Doon, and the Bonnie Doon sub probably powers 83 St to Argyll Road.

The grounding cables are in place as a safety measure because that particular section of the OCS has been de-energized for whatever reason. Possibly because men or equipment will be working within the vicinity of the OCS. If the sub and/ or specific circuit is powered on while grounded, the grounding cable creates a short which trips the substation off, thereby preventing injury to anyone working around the wires.

This apparent TPSS stress testing is another example of why we weren't going to see this line open during the summer. Presumably this is an important test, yet, it is only be done now?
Where the cars loaded with sandbags for simulated loads? I thought they had already done similar testing with simulated loads through this area?

I wonder how much of this load testing was held back because of the problem with the piers.

Last edited:
End of the line

20221020_165214.jpg

It's 5 pm, there's an NHL game tonight, and the Churchill Connector is still closed.

20221020_165829.jpg

20221020_165937.jpg

across the street from the Quarters stop

20221020_170534.jpg

The other side of the LRT tunnel

20221020_170935.jpg

From overhead

20221020_171200.jpg

My favorite view of the Tawatina Bridge

20221020_171929.jpg

The trail east of the bridge is closed until month-end

20221020_171938.jpg