Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Well that makes it interesting. Cars can move over the elevated section.
Yet, there is now a second car loaded onto a Premay trailer at the Gerry Wright OMF. Car 1014 this time.
At this time still presumed to be leaving the property.

there have been some interesting photos posted on the engaging riverdalians facebook page (that may not be shareable):

What are the photos? That Facebook group is private and cannot be accessed unless you join.

What’s going in place?
I could be wrong, but I am not aware of anything for most of the site. It fits in with the long prevailing local attitude of quickly tear down things and (maybe) figure it out later.

So, likely another empty lot for some time. Although, this building didn't have much redeeming about it, so if they are going to tear down something this may be the one to choose.

It would be a great site for a tall condo building (much more so than the one proposed nearby), but good planning and the city don't always seem to often mesh.

What are the photos? That Facebook group is private and cannot be accessed unless you join.
i did note that they might not be shareable/accessible. they were photos of some of the tawatina bridge piers with similar drilling and injection sites as those shown in transed's video. as the construction of the bridge above is actually quite different than the elevated roadway sections on the piers elsewhere, i was hopeful that we wouldn't see the same issues on the bridge piers. given however that we are seeing the same things, it seems like pier design or pier construction or material rather than poorly handled transmitted stresses are likely causative but that's still pure guesswork on my part.

Last edited:
The viaduct is so wide, I measured about 12.5 to 13m on Google Maps. How can something be so overengineered and underengineered at the same time? The side barriers are so high.

The existing Dudley B Menzies Bridge and Calgary's short elevated section has 11m wide viaducts. Vancouver's Skytrain is 8m wide with the double tracks for Expo/Millennium Lines, 9m wide double tracks for the Canada Line which has 3m wide trains, but they don't have catenary supports and the required clearances to deal with. Triple track sections on Expo/Millennium Line are 12m wide.

i did note that they might not be shareable/accessible. they were photos of some of the tawatina bridge piers with similar drilling and injection sites as those shown in transed's video. as the construction of the bridge above is actually quite different than the elevated roadway sections on the piers elsewhere, i was hopeful that we wouldn't see the same issues on the bridge piers. given however that we are seeing the same things, it seems like pier design or pier construction or material rather than poorly handled transmitted stresses are likely causative but that's still pure guesswork on my part.
I was hoping that aside from the concrete river block, that TransEd largely left American Bridge to do their thing entirely on the tawatina bridge.

I would bet money that it's again not a design issue but more construction/material issues as we've seen repeatedly. The fact it's a continual project wide fault from guideways to piers to sidewalks to bridges (Whitemud and tawatina) makes one think it's some sort of incredible failure by whoever was spearheading concrete engineering.

#1017 departed at midnight and #1007 is positioned to be loaded next. The cars are being moved Downtown. They are off loaded at 102 St with a ramp that has been temporarily installed. Presumably the LRV's are being stored in the tunnel.
Observed overnight activity along the VLSE, including work on piers at at least 2 locations, and a 1AM, tile repairs in the Mill Woods stop. I don't get why that couldn't be done during the day?!

1665242064342.png

Back