Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

In watching grass grow news, I saw an LRT train cross at 83 Street/87 Avenue on the way home from work. It was crossing pretty fast.

1023 was all the way down at the Avonmore station on my way home from work yesterday. It was northbound on the southbound tracks.

A04B4F1C-E4A2-4B49-8C47-D6A8DF814066.jpeg

Today's observations... LRV #1021 is loaded onto a flatbed trailer at the Gerry Wright OMF. What for? No clue. The usual cars #1022 and 1023 are both still running, doing laps from Bonnie Doon to Strathern using the crossovers at each end. Your guess is as a good as mine as to what it is up to. I suspect it was loaded Tuesday as it wasn't there Monday and it was already on the trailer at 8:00 this morning. Most likely to move tonight. That is of course, unless it was being returned from being off site. 1 LRV was returned to Bombardier and subsequently re-delivered as the last LRV to be delivered.
Outside of moving offsite for some reason, the next best guess is it is being taken to the section north of Argyll Road to either supplement the cars there, or swap one of the cars.

Anywhere south of the elevated section continues to be an ever increasing Charlie foxtrot. Uninsulated line truck was near the high load apparatus (surely they don't need to open that to allow this LRV to be moved?) complete with derail and grounding cable.

WPE continues pulling cable around 38 Ave to properly complete the job they started many years ago.

And now there is a manlift along 28 Ave and grounding cables on both tracks at that location.

Patchwork on some piers east of 75 St now.
Seems some piers have had their bases dug out.
One pier immediately north of 98 Ave has had the base dug out, while a manlift was south of 98 Ave, but, no sign of patching yet.

Was neat to see the two cars running at a frequent pace. I didn't time it, but, between the two stations they were probably every 5-8 minutes.

Having seen no trains on the Tawatina bridge, I could believe the affected piers there. I hope that the affected piers can be repaired.

Last edited:
Second post. I was going to hold off, but just discovered an interesting transit detour.
I wish I could understand TransEd's thinking when it comes to fencing.

This is all around the Millbourne stop.
PXL_20221005_160742138.jpg
East side has metal fencing next to the SUP.

PXL_20221005_160433645.jpg
Leading to the bus stop on the west side of the tracks... nothing. In fairness, during regular operations this bus stop will only be in use when the trains are not.

PXL_20221005_155648286.jpg
Right at 38 Ave, the east side has all this temporary crap while the west side has a metal and wire fence. It really looks like only half the job is done here.

In general, I'm surprised at the lack of fencing around the VLSE, especially at grade crossing. But, there are other locations like at the Mill Woods stop where there are paths on both sides next to the station with no fencing of any sort. Hell, I've shorted cutted through the station on occasion as a result. Bonnie Doon though, fencing everywhere, but once side you'll fine the heavy duty metal fencing, and the other side the metal and wire fence.

Anyways, upcoming detours for buses using Wagner Road due to a closure of Wagner Road from October 7, 2022 - December 31, 2022, which I'm sure means beyond December 2022 once all is said and done. Buses are detouring via Davies Road. I'd be surprised if this detour wasn't for pier repairs. Indeed, it is some of the piers right near the Davies Road/ Wager Road intersection which have had been dug up down to their bases, were wrapped up, and actually have minimal repair work.
I suspect that the piers that have had the grey material applied are probably ok, and then there is going to be a handful of piers that need more substantial work.

Last edited:
Having seen no trains on the Tawatina bridge, I could believe the affected piers there. I hope that the affected piers can be repaired.
there have been some interesting photos posted on the engaging riverdalians facebook page (that may not be shareable):

Back