Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

So I've noticed some of the P/R messages on the info boards at the station. One of them is about no smoking on the train or in the station, however there is one that states food and drink on the trains or in the stations is prohibited. Good luck enforcing that when it's allowed on ETS - I thought this system was supposed to be run according to the same bylaws etc as ETS?

DSC01672.JPG

So can someone tell me again why the trains can't operate between downtown to Bonnie Doon?
How do you service the trains - such as cleaning and maintenance? The shops are south of the affected area. There are also only 2 cars north of the affected piers - how effective are two cars going to be? What happens in the event of a breakdown? How do you get the car back to the shop to be fixed? What happens to the contract if only part of the line opens - there is likely delivery clauses etc in it.

How many construction certificates been issued and how many stations have been commissioned? It looks like the piers south of Davies Station could be repaired, with testing between Mill Woods and Davies Station following.

How many construction certificates been issued and how many stations have been commissioned? It looks like the piers south of Davies Station could be repaired, with testing between Mill Woods and Davies Station following.
I suspect no LRV movements on the elevated section until the entire elevated section is repaired.
That said, I don't know why there isn't any testing in Mill Woods between the Gerry Wright and Mill Woods TC, other than that the yard leads are de-energized and between 31 Ave and 34 Ave is de-energized as of last Wednesday.

More concrete issues on the Vaelly line....

I can't find it now, but there was an article saying that concrete results in 8% of the worlds GHG emissions. Just how many years does this line have run to cover the GHG emissions created during construction? The thousands of meters of concrete wasted, the thousands of gallons of diesel fuel burned in heaters......

With all the concrete issues that this project has had, it can't all be design issues can it? The sidewalk stuff that has to be ripped up also speaks to quality issues I think. I have no idea why this would not have been caught sooner. What a debacle.

How do you service the trains - such as cleaning and maintenance? The shops are south of the affected area. There are also only 2 cars north of the affected piers - how effective are two cars going to be? What happens in the event of a breakdown? How do you get the car back to the shop to be fixed? What happens to the contract if only part of the line opens - there is likely delivery clauses etc in it.
I assume they have a mobile crane they use to remove cars from the track in the event they get stuck. This could be put into service to take cars over to the maintenance yard.

I assume they have a mobile crane they use to remove cars from the track in the event they get stuck. This could be put into service to take cars over to the maintenance yard.
Moving anything by crane is horribly expensive. Transed doesn't have a crane in their fleet that I've seen. Any time they've had to do anything that was a large lift they had a contracted crane come in. For example unloading the rail milling machine.

Fair enough. Not sure how often the cars would need to be moved but thought it could be a temp solution to get the line going while the line is delayed indefinitely. Alternatively perhaps a temporary spot could be set up for light maintenance/cleaning. Maybe not realistic.

Back