Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

If thermal expansion is really the issue at hand here (apparently from the steel) then are all of the piers not at risk here? All concrete with that steel inside of it? Does this compromise the Tawatina Bridge too? I'm not an engineer but that doesn't seem like a fix is possible without significant repairs or replacement of the piers.

Or is it more of an issue with doing pours in the winter and having inadequate prep/hoarding and heating?

If thermal expansion is really the issue at hand here (apparently from the steel) then are all of the piers not at risk here? All concrete with that steel inside of it? Does this compromise the Tawatina Bridge too? I'm not an engineer but that doesn't seem like a fix is possible without significant repairs or replacement of the piers.

Or is it more of an issue with doing pours in the winter and having inadequate prep/hoarding and heating?
We are, almost famously and somewhat stereotypically a winter city. Unless someone just got off the plane from a tropical country surely they must have understood that. It seems to me a fairly high level of ignorance or carelessness would have been involved here by someone.

Looks like more piers with problems between Wagner Road and the CPR Tracks.
9C935DB2-EB3D-43B3-8AAA-54012BECECF2.jpeg

Isn't TranEd a consortium of some highly respected companies in the industry? According to Wikipedia, the Davies section is the only track that is elevated, How long is this section within the 13.1 km track?
Read that Marigold is working on Valley West. I hope they're reliable because this whole thing is embarassment. The residents deserve a whole lot better than this.

I think the trouble arises when somebody says that the LRT needs to be "Cutting Edge". "Other mass transit systems use CBTC technology, so why not Edmonton?" The City was in a tug-of-war with the province to get LRT funding, and the Federal funding came from the P3 fund. Even if the cost of the fix-up is on the vendor, how long before the city steps in?

Back