Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Lets be honest, who looks good from all directions.

Side note, whoever employs the yellow suits with stop signs' workers must be the largest employer in Canada.
I've been wondering about that. I figured it has to be just some staffing agency lol

Lets be honest, who looks good from all directions.

Side note, whoever employs the yellow suits with stop signs' workers must be the largest employer in Canada.
i think in edmonton the largest employer is whoever makes and distributes those traffic barriers and cones, particularly the temporary ones, being stored by the curb or on sidewalks and boulevards forever instead of getting picked up... :)

Last edited:
I am stumped as to why they need an army of yellow jacket wearing workers to block the intersections during LRV testing, they have something like 10 for every intersection. They are all twiddling their thumbs when not needed which is most of the time.

I am stumped as to why they need an army of yellow jacket wearing workers to block the intersections during LRV testing, they have something like 10 for every intersection. They are all twiddling their thumbs when not needed which is most of the time.
It does seem to be overkill and I am wondering who is paying for this

i think in edmonton the largest employer is whoever makes and distributes those traffic barriers and cones, particularly the temporary ones, being stored by the curb or on sidewalks and boulevards forever instead of getting picked up... :)
A lot of those are event or road closure for events. The current crop is along the marathon route. I noticed them out yesterday doing a ride along the course. But I think there are still some out from the Triathalon.

Was nearby so thought I’d take a look in the daytime. The fact it’s multiple in a row speaks more to concrete issues rather than design IMO.
D391C888-68FA-4D1F-8196-E24CD23DA15A.jpeg

F1C950F6-A588-4392-A3A1-80CEBBC021B9.jpeg
1DEF824A-94EB-476A-9C77-F88C198F7160.jpeg

What I thought was interesting was none of the other piers had any spiraling to that magnitude that I could see. I only saw about four piers with scaffolding on them (there might have been more, just didn’t walk far enough east as I didn’t have a ton of time), these three I took photos of were right near Wagner, but the pier just west of the one with all the spiraling looked perfect with no discernible cracks anywhere.

One of the piers was fully enclosed in tarps and I wonder how severe that one must be. Frankly, I’m really surprised they didn’t completely tarp all the affected piers.

Also interesting, you can see if you look real close, some of the cracks are actually numbered.

A lot of those are event or road closure for events. The current crop is along the marathon route. I noticed them out yesterday doing a ride along the course. But I think there are still some out from the Triathalon.
i'm not talking about those like these that are out for a short-time to accommodate a specific event. i'm talking about the ones that are orphaned or abandoned after the fact - whether from an event or a road closure for construction or maintenance - that stay there for months and months.
Spalling is simply an engineers attempt at a patina.
spalling is a failure, not patina.

honeycombing is the first step towards a patina.

Back