Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Well less we forget, there was the Metro line big f*ck up that took years to fix and a long list of other projects with problems (bridge, overpass ....)

Different companies, different structure of project. What is the one thing all of these projects have in common - the City of Edmonton. Coincidence? N0 !!!!!!
Although at least trains were running, slow but they were running, all we get to do with the valley line is watch the empty stations.

“If TransEd felt they could not meet the outlined project milestones, they should have either included that in their bid or not submitted a bid. Maybe they did and the City did move forward with TransEd regardless, but I suspect we'll never know.”

No doubt the City couof be heading to court to enforce recovery of penalty provisions if warranted and if the City is clearly not at risk. BUT as you point out if the City project team acquiesced regarding schedule, specifications or compromised anything price wise I doubt the public will see this unfold in court - the P3 will have the upper hand in exposing the City’s incompetence and the City will try to negotiate a settlement behind close doors. This assumes the City poked its nose in where it should not have … and I would bet they did.

• While public-private partnerships are “fundamentally flawed” when it comes to public transportation, the P3 model is not the reason for the latest delay of theValley Line Southeast LRT, Coun. Tim Cartmell told CBC. Mayor Amarjeet Sohi called for a comprehensive review of how the city pursues P3 projects after TransEd announced the discovery of cracks in several piers that will further delay the opening of the line, which is already two years late. Cartmell, who is a structural engineer by trade, said the delay is the result of a design mistake, not the form of the contract, and he disagreed with Sohi that a P3 restricts the city’s oversight.

Both public and private delivery can result in mistakes. I wonder if we are more prone to having troubles with P3s because of Edmonton's long history of public-sector delivery and expertise. I.e. there isn't much institutional reservoir of expertise in private sector. For example, the CEO of TransEd is from Quebec. Others on the project are also from elsewhere in Canada. The larger Canadian "private-sector" has never been prominent in Edmonton, maybe lacks knowledge or awareness. Our big players are either homegrown or build it ourselves via local public sector either GoA or City.

Over engineering is a developers best insurance, I bet they are kicking themselves for not doing that in the first place.

FWIW, testing going on downtown this morning.
E705A815-CF8B-46CB-906F-9BF6422B7322.jpeg

Agreed. It has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' from that angle.
It looks especially bad from the west, not as bad from the east. It also looks better at night than during the day time.

I'm not sure that this is a ringing endorsement though.

Lets be honest, who looks good from all directions.

Side note, whoever employs the yellow suits with stop signs' workers must be the largest employer in Canada.

Back