Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Not whatsoever. Make a temporary fix to get the line opened. Then do the work in LRT off hours to put the permanent fix in place. The public must be prioritized, management and the engineers need to work around that.
I think placing additional constraints on a company that has been unable to complete this properly without said constraints may not be the best move - particularly by adding heightened public safety risks into the mix.

Catenary power shut off in either direction at 95 Ave and Connors Road. Not sure where the next set of isolators are, but likely down by the Muttart, and towards Bonnie Doon. Not sure why, from my vantage point I couldn't see any specific work going on, although the Boonie Doon substation has a generator hooked up to it, and has for a few weeks.

Statement from City Manager Andre Corbould on Valley Line Southeast project​

August 10, 2022

City Manager Andre Corbould made the following statement in response to an announcement from TransEd that the Valley Line Southeast LRT line is delayed.

“TransEd has told Edmontonians the Valley Line Southeast LRT is delayed again, as they have identified problems with the concrete piers that support the elevated guideways.

“City Administration is deeply disappointed about this new delay. But we will not let that disappointment take us off course. We are committed to bringing a safe and reliable LRT service to Edmontonians, and we are holding TransEd accountable to fix this problem.

“TransEd is fully responsible for the costs of repairing the piers, and it continues to forfeit payments every month the system is not operational. Edmontonians’ financial interests are protected under the terms of the public-private partnership (P3) agreement for the project.

“This delay is a significant inconvenience to passengers who should have been enjoying the Valley Line Southeast from Mill Woods to downtown by now. The City will continue to provide frequent bus service in place of the LRT line, so people can still move around their city.

“We expect TransEd to make this right and have the line open for safe, reliable service as soon as possible.

“Information about the anticipated timing of the repairs, and service commencement, will be shared as it becomes available in the coming weeks.”​
S.gif

For more information:
edmonton.ca/ValleyLineSoutheast

Media contact:
Janice Schroeder
Communications and Engagement
780-920-4042​

Rather than the City passing the buck, show some real leadership and share in the responsibility. I’m sure TransEd will do all they can to repair the piers before Winter.

And what is the City supposed to do in this situation? City staff are not involved in design and construction, how can they take responsibility? Would you like them to somehow void the p3 agreement and take over the project?

People wanted P3 because "the government can't be trusted, and isn't efficient". Well the consequences of that line of thinking is a project that the City has no real control over.

And what is the City supposed to do in this situation? City staff are not involved in design and construction, how can they take responsibility? Would you like them to somehow void the p3 agreement and take over the project?

People wanted P3 because "the government can't be trusted, and isn't efficient". Well the consequences of that line of thinking is a project that the City has no real control over.
if you have a p3, two of the p’s stand for public and partnership. in addition, the city controlled the purse strings in spending $1.8 billion dollars on behalf of three levels of government.

is the city completely responsible for this situation (or the host of others in addition to this one)? no, they’re not.

is the city without any responsibility for this situation (or the host of others in addition to this one)? no, they’re not.

that’s the reality of a partnership.

I'll be honest, I never really dug into the agreement itself much so I'm unfamiliar with the details. Other than money, what responsibilities are in the City's jurisdiction? The put stipulations for delays/overruns into the agreement, but is there actually anything else that can be done at this stage?

I'll be honest, I never really dug into the agreement itself much so I'm unfamiliar with the details. Other than money, what responsibilities are in the City's jurisdiction? The put stipulations for delays/overruns into the agreement, but is there actually anything else that can be done at this stage?
at this stage, probably not. except to learn.

and between this and the walterdale bridge and blatchford and the library and the police station and jasper avenue and the metro line and station pointe and capilano bridge and dawson bridge and capital boulevard et al, there’s lots to learn…

I wonder why we have trouble now-a-days executing very large projects. Is it something to do with our cultural reality? Something to do with so much social media, short attention spans, few people stay at a job for longer than 5 years, lack of in-depth expertise, that just leads to lower quality work being done?

Back