Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Churchill connector looking good this afternoon with the new artistic touch...
DSCN9403.JPG

Is that an “designed” spray paint job at the top there? Please say it’s supposed to be there? Please don’t say it’s already been tagged…..

It actually doesn't look that bad, whoever does it has some talent. However, how they got up there and did that I don't know.

I have come to the conclusion that while the city has lots of security cameras, no one really watches them closely. It explains the rampant crime on city property, especially around the LRT.

They shouldn’t have to be watched as long as they are recording….then once something like this occurs….if there is a camera pointed at it….dial it back and identify the SoB

cameras are useless as a deterrent to crime. speaking mostly on the situation with bike theft, it's quite common for thefts to be caught on camera, but the footage is too blurry or otherwise compromised to identify the perpetrator. that's also assuming you can put a name to the face, figure out where they are, and arrest them. for petty crimes like bike thefts or this graffiti, it's not worth the effort. My understanding (luckily never had to deal with this directly, but i know people who have) the resources/information aren't available to resolve the issue. no useable camera footage of the act being committed, photos of the perpetrator that can be matched to the footage, etc are hard to come by.
The issue with this that i'm seeing is that these vandals know that. The cameras will see their blurry bodies on the roof. the cops won't be able to use the footage; no charges will be placed. there's no consequences for this act.
Branching off entirely into personal opinion, I think the focus needs to be on prevention rather than punishing the crime after it happens. punishment means the wall is already messed up (or window smashed, or bike stolen and gone in the wind) and we're left poorer for it. Not sure how it would have stopped these guys on the roof, but a lot of the vandalism we have right now would be stopped by better, more active security on site and peace officers readily available.

I know how to catch some vandals, super strength contact cement. They go to paint/tag a place like the area above in the picture, when they go to leave they discover that they are glued in place. They will then have no choice but to call EPS on themselves so they can get unstuck and get down.

Sydney and Canberra also have similar LRT systems (Sydney even has a similar atrocity to the Whyte crossing where their Southeast line branches), and they haven't seen the need to add crossing arms.

That said, winter is the real test. I'm worried about the section of 83 St in front of Idylwylde, it's on a curve, the turning lane is impossible to see under snow and there are tons of kids / elderly who cross there.

One thing I'll say though, I really like Sydney's choice to turn their CBD LRT thoroughfare into a pedestrian mall. It would be pretty sweet if Council could do something similar for 102 Ave.
I remember Sydney's LRT because when it opened it was slower than the bus it replaced!

Back