Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Sydney and Canberra also have similar LRT systems (Sydney even has a similar atrocity to the Whyte crossing where their Southeast line branches), and they haven't seen the need to add crossing arms.

That said, winter is the real test. I'm worried about the section of 83 St in front of Idylwylde, it's on a curve, the turning lane is impossible to see under snow and there are tons of kids / elderly who cross there.

One thing I'll say though, I really like Sydney's choice to turn their CBD LRT thoroughfare into a pedestrian mall. It would be pretty sweet if Council could do something similar for 102 Ave.

I've lived here too long to trust that "everything's going to be alright." As I've said before, we were told by city "experts" that congestion and cross traffic wouldn't be a major problem at University Ave/114 St, at the Metro Line grade crossings and on the Capital Line at Southgate. In each case, the city was proven wrong: it was and is a huge problem. The same brilliant minds have decided that we don't need crossing gates on the Valley Line because urban style LRT is oh-so-trendy.
I predict we'll have major issues the Valley Line from opening day: unfortunately, history is on my side.
One or two problems does not a disaster make.

IMG_20220425_080154.jpg

It's Rudolph!

The Muttart station as someone noted previously is going to be hands down the most beautiful stopping point in all of Edmonton's LRT stations (what may rival it is a couple of the Gondola station stops).

Such a beautiful area and then the bridge as well. On the weekend I was down there and on the north end of the bridge when you take a short walk west you hit that coffee shop and rental place. It was busy. A group was just coming from an e-bike tour and another was just getting ready to go out. And several other people were enjoying food/drink from the Cafe out on the tables/chairs set up.

Great spot! More of this in our valley please.

The Muttart station as someone noted previously is going to be hands down the most beautiful stopping point in all of Edmonton's LRT stations (what may rival it is a couple of the Gondola station stops).

Such a beautiful area and then the bridge as well. On the weekend I was down there and on the north end of the bridge when you take a short walk west you hit that coffee shop and rental place. It was busy. A group was just coming from an e-bike tour and another was just getting ready to go out. And several other people were enjoying food/drink from the Cafe out on the tables/chairs set up.

Great spot! More of this in our valley please.
I pray that it helps push more amenities around Cloverdale, which since I’ve been living here I’ve realized is a surprisingly car dependent place. You’ve got the Muttart Cafe (which is open the nice hours of 10-4…) and I guess the little cafe in the River Valley Adventure Co across the bridge? The closest convenience store is Ralph’s, which is a 30 min walk, including trudging up the 98th ave hill or Cloverdale Rd hill, both a miserable experience once snow has fallen.

I pray that it helps push more amenities around Cloverdale, which since I’ve been living here I’ve realized is a surprisingly car dependent place. You’ve got the Muttart Cafe (which is open the nice hours of 10-4…) and I guess the little cafe in the River Valley Adventure Co across the bridge? The closest convenience store is Ralph’s, which is a 30 min walk, including trudging up the 98th ave hill or Cloverdale Rd hill, both a miserable experience once snow has fallen.
Now just imagine how beautiful the area would be if we had this stop, the Tawatina Bridge, and a daylighting of Mill Creek! Just look at how nicely the stop is integrated into the area in these maps.
Mill Creek One.PNG

Mill Creek Two.PNG

Mill Creek Three.PNG

Back