Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

^most likely done as part of accessibility; parents with strollers, bicycles, others with mobility issues. But you're right, the majority of able-bodied folk will shortcut and they should have planned for that from the get-go.
Yeah I understand why that would be the main path, but I think there should also be a quicker connection up.

Does anyone know if this incompleted station is going to be incorporated into the Valley LRT?

Edmonton Churchill Station Video
No; my friend who works at the city says the two stations on either side are too close to justify bringing this one online, plus that tight squeeze would be hard to accommodate given the size of the "blocks" that each train occupies (with the fixed block control system). Plus that'd have to be part of the Capital/Metro lines, which use that tunnel. The Valley Line is above ground and has a different train style (low floor instead of high floor).

This afternoon I caught a few quick snaps of 2 LRVs testing in tandem heading north on both tracks on 75th st.. 2nd & 3rd shots are passing the BMW dealership.
Pics 4 & 5 are heading north down the Argyll guideway. And the last pic (later today on my return home) is heading southbound over the guideway, so very exciting I know 🥴
DSCN9231~4.JPGDSCN9234~2.JPGDSCN9235~2.JPGDSCN9238~3.JPGDSCN9240~2.JPGDSCN9237~2.JPG

One thing I thought about is the likelihood of the Oilers being in the NHL playoffs. While I don't expect the LRT to be ready, I hope that the areas around the LRT can be cleaned up for the fans attending, not to mention the Oilers fans heading out to the bars during game time.

No; my friend who works at the city says the two stations on either side are too close to justify bringing this one online, plus that tight squeeze would be hard to accommodate given the size of the "blocks" that each train occupies (with the fixed block control system). Plus that'd have to be part of the Capital/Metro lines, which use that tunnel. The Valley Line is above ground and has a different train style (low floor instead of high floor).
Which lines are you referring to for "two stations on either side are too close?". Future Station only has Churchill Station nearby, with Stadium a long ways down the line. And while Future is probably too close to Churchill to really justifying building it out, the blocks sizes wouldn't be an issue. Look how close Bay is to Central (which, Bay was in fact recommended not to be built because of how close to Central it was). The way the blocks are already built, inbound trains from the Northeast often get stopped in Future waiting for Metro line trains to clear Churchill Junction so certainly no issue there.
On the topic of blocks... the green paint that person was gushing over in the video is an insulated joint that is part of the signal system. I have news for her. That installation dates from the 2010's when the NE Signal system was rebuilt. She had other inaccuracies throughout mind you.

Which lines are you referring to for "two stations on either side are too close?". Future Station only has Churchill Station nearby, with Stadium a long ways down the line. And while Future is probably too close to Churchill to really justifying building it out, the blocks sizes wouldn't be an issue. Look how close Bay is to Central (which, Bay was in fact recommended not to be built because of how close to Central it was). The way the blocks are already built, inbound trains from the Northeast often get stopped in Future waiting for Metro line trains to clear Churchill Junction so certainly no issue there.
On the topic of blocks... the green paint that person was gushing over in the video is an insulated joint that is part of the signal system. I have news for her. That installation dates from the 2010's when the NE Signal system was rebuilt. She had other inaccuracies throughout mind you.
Great info. Just curious what the other inaccuracies were? Just so I know the real story. I’m fascinated by this unfinished station.

Back