Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Ended up wandering along the line from The Tawatina to Bonnie Doon Friday, and noticed something. It looks like all of the pedestrian crossings, all of them that I encountered, regardless of the street size, are beg buttons. None of the pedestrian lights go automatically, you have to wait for all of them, and if the light is green in the direction you want to go, so you push the button to turn the pedestrian light on, nothing happens, and you get stuck waiting.
How on earth did this happen? are we seriously not putting automatic pedestrian lights at intersections like Whyte and 83rd street? Or anywhere else? in 2022?
Seriously?

But even at a more basic/fundamental level of decision making here... how does this get off someone's desk, approved and permitted to proceed.
It's pretty unbelievable. Overall, it's most disappointing that a feasible alternative to having an above grade structure in that space was unable to be found--isn't the traction/substation for the river crossing on the Capital Line built into the hillside with the tunnel entrance on the north side? Why couldn't this have been done? Not sure how otherwise to really make a utility substation building look good regardless on such a prominent river valley hillside.

I think Edmonton must have had a challenge getting provincial funding for LRT. Under Redford, the extra provincial funding was a loan. I'm guessing Edmonton had to be frugal on land acquisition and no frills on related structures. There's a degree of resistance (even hostility) to spending any kind of money on roads, buildings or anything to improve our city.

This is what the digital display looks like in the LRVs! We did it! Full digital info!
1647362317682.png

If I had to guess (based on the shading of the screen), the sign indicates we're at 102 St, on our way to Churchill (hence the dotted line), with Davies and Millbourne major destinations down the line.
The way I read it is: train is traveling north, about to pull into Milbourne/Woodvale. Followed by Davies (which makes sense based on route), with 102st being the final destination of the train. Though I'm unsure why Churchill would be listed after Davies? I imagine it'll be more intuitive in person though, seeing the train move (and knowing where you got on).

Back