Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

LRT frequency on the Capital Line is no worse than 15 minutes and that is only during evenings and all day Sunday. Midday weekday and Saturday frequency is 10 minutes. The perception of not completely full, but most seats taken on weekends is because ETS runs 2 car trains on the weekend vs. 3 car trains on the weekdays. Yeah, sure, more frequent service would be great, but, the ridership, even before Covid, doesn't demand it, in particular when they are only running 2 and 3 car trains.
I get what you’re saying but I see the lower frequencies partly as a cause of lower ridership and not just an effect.

Did you notice that the cross street had a green light as the LRT LF was powering through?
I think that's what the 'testing' is about right now. the signal phases in a lot of places are out of whack. the pedestrian countdowns DT, for example, are all 10 seconds, despite that being waayyyy too short for the width of the street one has to navigate. (100st is a 16-18 second countdown at Jasper IIRC, and with the LRT it's only 10, which is clearly wrong) I'm betting the signal phases/timing with the trains are all being set right now. Kinda weird/scary to see, but I'm sure it'll get ironed out. kinda curious to know how they set them, will the train pull out of the station then wait at the light like the Ctrain does, will the signal change in time with the train, will the train cue the signal to change somehow like the crossing arms at at-grade stations? very excited to see!

The street trams on Valley Line are subject to other vehicular traffic and volumes on the roads, blockage from stalled vehicles, accidents, slow drivers, emergency vehicles, snow plotting, road rage … the list goes on. What good is having next tram signs at the station displayIng a time when it is a prediction at best and the reality is the tram will “soon come” as the Jamaican saying goes and not to worry about it.
Any major city who has these trams have those and even in chaotic cities, like Rio, which has traffic that can easily be worse than absolutely ANY North American city, it works pretty well.

Do we have an opening date yet? I find it somewhat ridiculous that at this point we still are being left in the dark.

Edit with quite a vague statement.

'TransED, the public-private project partner with the city, hopes to have the line open to the public this summer.'

Last edited:
Do we have an opening date yet? I find it somewhat ridiculous that at this point we still are being left in the dark.

Edit with quite a vague statement.

'TransED, the public-private project partner with the city, hopes to have the line open to the public this summer.'
The creditors report which was linked here a few months back says opening is planned for July 29.

Back