Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Got this is the mail today and I don't live anywhere near the Valley Line. A positive sign...?
20220202_164108.jpg
20220202_164129.jpg

Got this is the mail today and I don't live anywhere near the Valley Line. A positive sign...?
View attachment 378274 View attachment 378275

I see on this brochure that right turns are not allowed on red lights at some intersections.

A study referenced in the short clip below from Not Just Bikes found that allowing right turns on red lights increases chances of collisions (many involving pedestrians) by 69%. In terms of the city's Vision Zero goal, I wonder if this is something that will be considered in more areas.

Toronto has also begun implementing Leading Pedestrian Intervals where before lights go from red to green, there is a few seconds delay to allow pedestrians to begin walking through the intersection thereby making people more visible - which has been found to reduce crashes by 15%.

When I was driving dpwn the SE LRT route today (28 Avenue to 92 Street), I'm guessing most of the power substations still need to be commissioned. The only one that might be ready is the one at 83 Street/69 Avenue (The train signals are fully functional up to 76 Avenue)..

This bridge seems ripe for it with all those large concrete pillars. I wonder if some of that artwork overhead might have helped deter such handy work by being placed around those columns that's accessible to accessible to people.

This bridge seems ripe for it with all those large concrete pillars. I wonder if some of that artwork overhead might have helped deter such handy work by being placed around those columns that's accessible to accessible to people.
Then you would get ruined artwork I think. This is easy enough to just sand blast off.

Then you would get ruined artwork I think. This is easy enough to just sand blast off.

You would think so, but for the most part I see art work tends to get spared. I'm surprised, but that's been my experience.

In termsof this bridge, easy enough to sandblast off I guess but so enticing to have it hit with graffiti again and again and again... and again. I cross high level bridge a lot and it is tagged all along the bridge and it's pretty much a regular fixture now. City cleans it and a couple of days later it's back. Just saying I can see that happening with this bridge too. Lot of costs with continually doing this.

Maybe putting art there will help deter it.

Back