Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Not only that, you're gonna end up with 2 LRT stations named MacEwan - the current one on the Metro Line and the the future station on the Valley Line. Rename the former as the ICE District LRT station and let the latter carry on with MacEwan. It would make perfectly good sense but ETS and the City of Edmonton don't work that way.
I saw your map (I believe it was yours?) and really appreciated the forward thinking of it!

The only reason I wouldn’t call it Ice District is because it presumes it’s gonna land you right in the middle of the plaza if you are just trying to get to the Marriott from out of town.

With a name like Arena Station, it’s implied you’re nearby but better do some extra google maps work.

Then again I could be overthinking it. I just really love how clearly defined the skytrain stations for someone like myself who’s unfamiliar with where I’m getting off (and sometimes why I am).

Grand Opening of the Tawatina Bridge MUP

20211212_141301.jpg20211212_142303.jpg20211212_142619.jpg20211212_142632.jpg20211212_142702.jpg20211212_142933.jpg20211212_143339.jpg20211212_143408.jpg20211212_143641.jpg20211212_143920.jpg20211212_144056.jpg

nice wide bridge. lots of people on at 3:30 yesterday.However the trails were a bit slippery getting there.One of the switch backs down from the convention centre was not sanded. so it was a bit of a bobsled run down with a wheel chair. But we made it while laughing all the way down. and it was worth it.

nice wide bridge. lots of people on at 3:30 yesterday.However the trails were a bit slippery getting there.One of the switch backs down from the convention centre was not sanded. so it was a bit of a bobsled run down with a wheel chair. But we made it while laughing all the way down. and it was worth it.
PXL_20211212_224706003.jpg
PXL_20211212_224315881.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211212_223705118.jpg
    PXL_20211212_223705118.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 62
This bridge immediately achieves "landmark status" in Edmonton -- beautiful design well executed. It should garner exceptional use, especially connecting downtown parks to the Muttart Conservatory. Great area location for a riverboat access port. It also should add impetus to Alldritt's 80 storey hill crest development.

I wiped out a couple of times on my way to the Tawatina, and I had my winter boots on. The SUP of the bridge itself could have used some shoveling.
The smudging/drumming ceremony was good, but the yapping dogs on the bridge made things hard to hear.
I didn't really see any higher-ups there who I wanted to meet. I did chat with MLA Janis Irwin and we admired some of the artwork together - you can spot her in a couple of my pics.
I wanted to take more pics but I didn't want to lose my fingers to the cold!
I'll be back in the spring once the snow and ice are gone.

Who said anything about anyone screwing up? General rail grinding and “surveying and fine-tuning” are two different things for two different purposes.

The first run of rail grinding was done to remove any defects/residue/weld marks from the construction process and to result in a smoother, more uniform rail surface so trains run quieter and more smoothly.

The surveying and fine-tuning process is much more in-depth using specialized measurement and adjustment equipment which optimizes train movement and ride comfort.
Sorry for the late reply in this one, but, the arrival of the machine in question confirmed my suspicions. You don't brining in something they say looks like a diesel locomotive for fine tuning work.
What even is fine tuning of rails? They need to be shaped to an optimum profile for the type of wheel in use. It's either the correct profile or it's not. Any fine tuning I've seen done on the Capital and Metro lines was done with portable rail grinders after repairs were made to the track.
It turns out the machine they have brought in is a milling machine. https://northamerica.rhomberg-sersa.com/en/services/urban-rail-services-milling-machines
Anyways, although TransEd's advisory is accurate that there will be only minor grinding, I will be curious to see the extent of milling operations.
Curious why they didn't just start with this machine in the first place. That what makes me wonder what they did wrong the first time.

This adjustment process adjusts the rails with methods besides just grinding the rails. You can’t do this step until you do the first.

Which methods are those?
The embedded track is enclosed in an elastomeric grout, and the exposed track utilizes direct fixation where there is really no way to adjust the rails.
Sure, on ballast and tie construction you certainly can adjust the track, but not with embedded or direct fixation.

Last edited:

Back