Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Hyundai Rotem:

FD2lNHiVIAETY9R

Bombardier Flexity for comparison:
BT-Flexity-20160212-HR-jpeg_103346.jpeg

Can’t find any information on this LRV. Has anyone else tried?
They have done tram/ LRV type vehicles around the world, just not much for North America. They did supply the cars to the Canada Line in Vancouver, and while it is commuter railroad equipment, Silverliner V cars to SEPTA and Denver.

Not sure about the world, but a recent research I've done has it as the only in the Americas.
The Purple Line in Maryland will have LRV's slightly longer than Edmonton's. Those will be built by CAF.

I remember it being a thing with the Bombardier LRVs on VLSE that they were using 7 segments instead of the 5 the Flexity was originally designed for. From what i read, it does make our units unusually long. There's a couple soft standards for train length (in Germany, LRT can only have trains up to 105m,, so trains have to be designed to maximize that length, which is where our U2s get their 25m length from, for example) but usually trains are either shorter trams or longer subway-type systems. we're kinda wierdos in the middle lol.
Thanks to everyone sharing info on Hyundai's offerings for trams! it was so cool to come home and see all this info just hours after the announcement. I am curious about what base model they use for our trains, and what the end treatment will be. from what i've seen/read, the ends of the trains are relatively easy to update, and get restyled to keep models looking fresh, but mechanically the trains are the same everywhere else. I wonder if we will get the same trains as shown in the photos, or if by 2025 something will have been changed?

I remember it being a thing with the Bombardier LRVs on VLSE that they were using 7 segments instead of the 5 the Flexity was originally designed for. From what i read, it does make our units unusually long.
Bombardier built 7 segment Flexity's for Berlin in the early 2010's, so, it's not like our cars are really anything that hasn't been done already somewhere else in the world. None the less, they are quite unique for North America for the time being. The choice in length was at least partially dictated by the length available for stations Downtown, and making the most efficient use of that space. By going for a 2 car train made up of longer cars, they are saving the space that would have been used for couplers and operator cabs compared to a 3 car train made up of shorter cars, so, the space for 2 operators cabs and a pair of couplers goes towards the passenger cabin instead.
Thanks to everyone sharing info on Hyundai's offerings for trams! it was so cool to come home and see all this info just hours after the announcement. I am curious about what base model they use for our trains, and what the end treatment will be. from what i've seen/read, the ends of the trains are relatively easy to update, and get restyled to keep models looking fresh, but mechanically the trains are the same everywhere else. I wonder if we will get the same trains as shown in the photos, or if by 2025 something will have been changed?
I'm very curious how this will playout with Rotem. Edmonton has had the benefit of Bombardier getting their cars running in Toronto and Waterloo, and while their climates aren't the same as Edmonton's, they seem to have faired well so far.
Ottawa and their Alstom Citadis Spirit cars on the other hand, the first adaptation of an Alstom LRV to North America, has had their fair share of teething problems.
Hopefully Rotem will do fine. Seeing that they are building cars for Warsaw does give me confidence they'll be able to build a car for Edmonton's climate.
The safest bet would have been to sole source with Bombardier, but those negotiations fell through (cost being a part of it) and Bombardier/ Alstom didn't even make the short list.

^glad that my lights area finally open, haha. I'm just in a block or so to the East of there. That 76ave & 83 intersection was pretty bad at times, more so a couple years ago. Lots of fender benders.
Traffic flows pretty smooth along 83 now, no bike lanes from Whyte to 63ave though, so not great.

Back