Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

The lack of secure bike parking is a huge barrier to efficient last mile options.

Looks like this is being piloted right now

"Starting August 30, 2021, bicycles and e-scooters will be allowed on the LRT at all times of day. We are committed to integrating active modes of transportation with public transit.

At Century Park and Belvedere transit centres, we are conducting a bicycle storage locker pilot project. There are 6 metal storage lockers at each of these locations, and they are first come, first served. Each locker can store one adult-sized bicycle. Cyclists need to supply their own padlock for the outside of the locker. There is no charge to use a locker. "

It was nonsensical for ETS and the CoE to have the previous policy of not allowing bikes on LRT during peak times while trying to promote active modes of transportation at the same time

Last edited:
^^Good to know @_Urbanite (great name change by they way):)

I would imagine secured bike storage 'could' already be in place at Davies station, I just didn't notice or didn't even what to look for! I'll go back and check today if I get motivated on my ride today. (Was going to head the opposite direction though)
Also after watching the video on how easy it is to use the bike racks on the front of the buses I'll try it out one day.
So finally ETS is getting onboard to promote active modes transport.

I wish there are at least 1 or 2 bike parking stands on all ETS bus stops. Due to valley line west construction, they have literally blocked all the intersections where I live and is so hard to just cross the street now. I have to take a long detour when walking. If there is at least sort of a pole to park my crappy bike in ETS bus stops, I don't have to walk as far to commute. Takes me 15 minutes to walk to bus stop but only 5 minutes or less by bike from my home.

Construction along 95th avenue near 85th street.......

IMG_1147.jpg

I wish there are at least 1 or 2 bike parking stands on all ETS bus stops. Due to valley line west construction, they have literally blocked all the intersections where I live and is so hard to just cross the street now. I have to take a long detour when walking. If there is at least sort of a pole to park my crappy bike in ETS bus stops, I don't have to walk as far to commute. Takes me 15 minutes to walk to bus stop but only 5 minutes or less by bike from my home.
love this idea, and i feel bad for your dealing with the construction.
ETS (and Edmonton in general) goes into big overtures about bike infrastructure, accommodating riders, etc, but seem to miss the little basic things that would make biking much easier. for example, I was train/bike commuting this summer, and when the rush hour bike announcement was made, i was rather annoyed. The policy about bikes on trains wasn't really stopping anyone. the lack of space for a bike was the issue. the SD-160s only have 4 spaces for strollers/wheelchairs/bikes; the U2s only have 2 spots. once those are full, you wind up blocking a door. Given they were only running 3 car trains at the time, bike space was limited. the policy didn't matter, there was no room for a bike at almost any time. I had trouble fitting my bike on the 5:22am train. rush hour? no way! Seeing policy change, but the actual, physical/practical/logistical situation do nothing was really frustrating.
To reign the tangent back to the topic at hand, it's little changes, like putting bike racks on all the buses, all the time, so users can rely on them being available, safe bike parking at all Transit Centres, and proper bike racks/fixtures at stops with high traffic, thant are most important. TBH i look at the bike parking at Davies Station and get a little uneasy. it's too far away from the building, and looks like it would be easy for someone to walk up with some bolt cutters and steal a bike without anyone intervening. it's good it's there, but having it be less of an afterthought would be nice. that being said, I think any of these small changes would go MUCH farther in encouraging inter-modal use of bikes and transit than flashy policy announcements.

Back