Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Greenery has been planted at the Muttart LRT stop

20211028_165506.jpg

Still think the Churchill connector was a big miss. From a tourism standpoint, along with art/architecture, they could have done something a little more significant.

It's confusing when they do the stupid silver ball type projects, but then do a seafoam green 2000s box for one of the most significant LRT entrances in the city....

Here's some examples of what "could have been":
train-station_110716_03-800x533.jpgNorth_Ryde_station_entrance.jpgf6af88791dc734759f154fdc81da4e79.jpgWynyard_railway_station_entrance,_Wynyard_Walk,_April_2017.jpg

^ I don't really see it as a problem. Of course there's always a time and place to ask for better architecture, but I don't think that's what was needed here. It's clear they were trying to match the rest of the architecture around Churchill Square, notably Tix on the Square and the Three Bananas Cafe, the latter of which the connector is literally conjoined to. If anything, something like the above would've been so different that it would've thrown the cohesion of the entire Square out of balance. Not to say I think the connector's current design is anything great (or even necessarily that good), but there's a clear intent behind it.

Still think the Churchill connector was a big miss. From a tourism standpoint, along with art/architecture, they could have done something a little more significant.

It's confusing when they do the stupid silver ball type projects, but then do a seafoam green 2000s box for one of the most significant LRT entrances in the city....

Here's some examples of what "could have been":
View attachment 359205View attachment 359206View attachment 359207View attachment 359208

If they did something like you suggest I think it would make the library standout even worse than it does now. Let's keep the architecture around the library muted 😄

A few pics taken on the 27th.
Love the MUPs they are finishing up, almost everything is open now.

Looking south on 83st
DSCN7990.JPGDSCN7991.JPG

Looking East on Argyll,
DSCN7992.JPG

but sidewalk-free looking West (these types of areas are a priority for CoE MUP treatment IMO)
DSCN7993.JPG

The CoE 75th Street roadway makeover (Argyll to Wagner Rd) can't happen soon enough, not even sidewalks through there and biking is a real challenge
DSCN7994.JPGDSCN7996.JPG

Wagner Road looking back to 66/75 Street, looking good.
DSCN7999 (2).JPG

Wagner Rd looking south at the smaller section of the PnR that takes up the n/e corner of Davies Station parking.
DSCN8002.JPGDSCN8007.JPG

Heading South on the West side of the station (Davies Rd) and where the majority of the PnR parking is situated (less visible from 75st/66st)
DSCN8008.JPG DSCN8016.JPGDSCN8020.JPGDSCN8021.JPG

Finally back on 66th Street looking North (from McIntyre Rd) a blurrrry pic of the finished MUP, yippee!
DSCN8022.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN7997.JPG
    DSCN7997.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 242

Back