Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

At this point it's an Edmonton thing.

Davies is a PnR, Heritage Valley will be a PnR... Misericordia and WEM may as well be considered PnRs too since they're next to / surrounded by gigantic parking lots (Guinness certified for the latter)
West Edmonton Mall has the largest parking lot in the world with 20,000 or more spaces, yet can't remove f*cking 20 of them to make a dedicated walkway from the transit centre into the mall. Hopefully Triple 5 finally gets to that now that there's going to a be literal train station on their doorstep. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

West Edmonton Mall has the largest parking lot in the world with 20,000 or more spaces, yet can't remove f*cking 20 of them to make a dedicated walkway from the transit centre into the mall. Hopefully Triple 5 finally gets to that now that there's going to a be literal train station on their doorstep. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
Won't someone think of the cars??? ;)

^Honestly, I think PnR's are a good thing. It still allows drivers to go a certain distance without driving the entire commute. There are lots that will take the train but don't want anything to do with a bus.
I don't necessarily dislike park and rides either. They are a solid way to boost ridership of a transit line while by extension having less cars go into downtown and the broader central area of a city. However, they become more of a problem when they're overused and become the average station on a transit line. That's a really inefficient and kinda stupid way to utilize such a valuable service which communities can be built around Looking at you GO Transit

Yes, they make good sense except to those who have an aversion to cars. As we know, neighborhood transits service frequency is not that great or barely existent, particularly in newer neighborhoods where commuters may come from.

So, you have to walk perhaps some significant distance to a bus stop and hope it is not too early or late, then you have to hope it connects smoothly with the LRT. Of course if you work early or late, the bus service frequency may be much lower.

LRT is great which is why so many people want more of it. Bus service, not so much.
I agree almost 100%.

I just don't like some of the places where they put PnRs and, as @Platinum107 said, they're becoming overused and are the norm for any station that's a little further from the core.

I agree almost 100%.

I just don't like some of the places where they put PnRs and, as @Platinum107 said, they're becoming overused and are the norm for any station that's a little further from the core.
I just don't see us getting TOD near stations outside our "inner ring road" until sprawl is stopped or housing prices double to create the Vancouver effect (i.e. condos become the only affordable housing, so all young people buy them and want to be close to the train).

There's not the demand for 500-4500 units around stations. 142nd st and stony, Bonnie doone, century, stadium, seem to be the only momentum. Maybe jasper gates at 149st and heritage valley will do decent in a decade.

But awesome sites like Southgate, WEM, brewery district, Millwoods TC will be decades away from becoming what we're seeing in Vancouver and Toronto....true TOD and 5min neighborhoods

ThisTuesday afternoon
DSCN7775.JPG

DSCN7754.JPG
DSCN7767.JPG
DSCN7777.JPG
DSCN7781.JPG
DSCN7785.JPG
DSCN7792.JPG
DSCN7801.JPG
DSCN7810.JPG
DSCN7814.JPG
DSCN7804.JPG
DSCN7805.JPG
DSCN7821.JPG

I just don't see us getting TOD near stations outside our "inner ring road" until sprawl is stopped or housing prices double to create the Vancouver effect (i.e. condos become the only affordable housing, so all young people buy them and want to be close to the train).

There's not the demand for 500-4500 units around stations. 142nd st and stony, Bonnie doone, century, stadium, seem to be the only momentum. Maybe jasper gates at 149st and heritage valley will do decent in a decade.

But awesome sites like Southgate, WEM, brewery district, Millwoods TC will be decades away from becoming what we're seeing in Vancouver and Toronto....true TOD and 5min neighborhoods
Yes, I don't think we will have exactly the same type TOD as a city twice or 5 times our population, that is not a realistic yardstick for us right now. However, it is also not necessarily an all or nothing thing.

I do think there will be more TOD here, some already planned or being developed and even more in the the future. We also don't have as many constraints on housing growth as those cities, so it will be convenience that drives it more here.

Back