Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Did anyone bother to read the article? We are having once in a century event, a pandemic, hello?
This is a huge project, and the fact it's delayed, due to valid reasons, shouldn't be a surprise.
Agreed. I've heard from a contractor work on the SE LRT route that they're having a really hard time getting, and keeping, workers right now. There's a huge labour shortage that isn't really being discussed. He was optimistic that when immigration ramps up in 2022, the shortage should ease, as it's easier to bring in workers from overseas who will work for the pay offered. These contractors pay little, according to my understanding. But the budget is set for this work, so there's no leeway to increase wages, hence why the SE leg will likely not be finished until immigration ramps up. My guess is the end of 2022 before it's fully operational. The Spring is FAR too ambitious a timeline, I was told.

Well I'm not buying too much of the excuses given. As per my rant this morning they would be further along if they didn't keep doing 75% to 95% of a bunch of small projects but stop short of completion. Well I hate to admit it but my statement this morning turned out to be fact. 😡

I am honestly impressed how fast this line has been built, taking into account the complexity, a bridge across the river, a tunnel etc. A global pandemic, excuse me. We do not live in China with half a billion labour force and no labour standards.
In a few months, we will have the newest, one the most beautiful urban LRT line in the country! I don't think we should be supporting Watson's and Nickel's narratives. Gosh don't be so negative people. In Tel Aviv, they are late by 10 years! on their LRT line.

Well I'm not buying too much of the excuses given. As per my rant this morning they would be further along if they didn't keep doing 75% to 95% of a bunch of small projects but stop short of completion. Well I hate to admit it but my statement this morning turned out to be fact. 😡
Did you read what I posted? It wasn't an excuse, but valid explanations that explain your statement of 75% to 95% completion of small projects. What isn't there to buy? If a bunch of people get COVID, it impacts multiple aspects of any given piece of work and it gets pushed further along in the critical path - meaning, two to three weeks later when those resources are available again. Unlimited resources do not exist - there are finite resources and when those resources aren't available for a period of time, it results in the delays you are seeing.

FBhQj5DX0AMy7ge

Did you read what I posted? It wasn't an excuse, but valid explanations that explain your statement of 75% to 95% completion of small projects. What isn't there to buy? If a bunch of people get COVID, it impacts multiple aspects of any given piece of work and it gets pushed further along in the critical path - meaning, two to three weeks later when those resources are available again. Unlimited resources do not exist - there are finite resources and when those resources aren't available for a period of time, it results in the delays you are seeing.
Well I wish I had better photographic examples but lets see if this can illustrate a point a little bit.
20210624_204951_HDR.jpg

This picture was taken June 24, 2021. As you can see this little section was almost complete although for some reason the asphalt was not tied to each other.
20210922_085047.jpg
This shot was on September 22, 2021. As we can see they cut out some asphalt to add their concrete crosswalk. By the way, when this section was cut out, was the same time that the remainder of the intersection was done the same way except for some reason they cut the other asphalt up and already poured the other crosswalk sections on this day but completely ignored to do any forms what so ever here.
20211012_095341_HDR.jpg

This is that same section taken yesterday October 12, 2012. All the asphalt from the previous picture was completely removed so they could pour coloured concrete crosswalk.

Now a couple things you don't see in the picture. As I mentioned already, the remainder of the intersection was completed shortly after the second picture. Meanwhile they didn't even set up the form work while doing the rest. The odd thing too, some other concrete crosswalks on this project were completed within a few days time, concrete poured and open to traffic. Unfortunately this entrance to the mall parking lot has now been closed for at least a month. Oh yeah also there are other little concrete sections that are ready for pouring but instead the crews have again been shifted elsewhere along the project.

Look I understand that there can be delays at times due to labour shortage especially with Covid around. But my point is that there is something wrong when there are little sections that were worked on and then left incomplete in some cases for over a year. I unfortunately wasn't as vigilante taking more pictures of more if the site, but from my observations since the project began parts of the problem are more than just covid related issues. Please understand I'm not just complaining cause I'm cranky and want to bitch about things. These concerns stem from myself paying very close attention to the progress from the very start.

Last edited:

Back