Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

City employees have too much free time on their hands so they sit around dreaming up cutesy names for places and projects... things like "Touch the Water" or "Whyte District" (how about "Touch the Whyte" and "Water District"). This is just another one of those. Creativity eludes them so this is their big stretch for innovation-muscle-excercise.

Bonnie Doon stop last Thursday.
20210902_203804.jpg

20210902_164206.jpg20210902_164109.jpg20210902_164109.jpg20210902_164102.jpg20210902_164049.jpg20210902_163958.jpg

It should just be Blatchford - and it's a train station not a gate that people walk through. Do you think the brain dead at ETS know that?
Oh, naming things is really not an ETS strength. I think there is a bureaucratic tendency to give things long and sometimes convoluted names to cover all the bases, but it really is just confusing and redundant.

So we have a Valley Line, I suspect 80% of it is actually not in the Valley. We have a Station with the name Fort Edmonton in it that is a long hike from it and a Bay Station when the closest Bay Store is now at Kingsway.

I suppose the locals eventually figure this all out, but it can be quite confusing for visitors. At least this one actually has the name Blatchford in it and they didn't call it something like Blatchford - Castle Downs. I suppose the shorter Blatchford is better and that will probably be what most people refer to it as. Sometimes less is more.

Oh, naming things is really not an ETS strength. I think there is a bureaucratic tendency to give things long and sometimes convoluted names to cover all the bases, but it really is just confusing and redundant.

So we have a Valley Line, I suspect 80% of it is actually not in the Valley. We have a Station with the name Fort Edmonton in it that is a long hike from it and a Bay Station when the closest Bay Store is now at Kingsway.

I suppose the locals eventually figure this all out, but it can be quite confusing for visitors. At least this one actually has the name Blatchford in it and they didn't call it something like Blatchford - Castle Downs. I suppose the shorter Blatchford is better and that will probably be what most people refer to it as. Sometimes less is more.
Sometimes stupid is as stupid is ... calling South Campus as also Fort Edmonton is stupid. Calling Bay Station by that name is redundant. Better to name it 103 Street Station or 104 Street Promenade (wishful thinking) or 104th Warehouse District. When will Coliseum name be gone ... only after demolition and then what? So many wrong names in Edmonton.

This isn’t an Edmonton phenomenon there are many videos on YouTube describing the number of times station names have been changed in London. Arsenal station was Caledonia road until the Arsenal football club lobbied to get the name change because it was the closest station to the football ground. Now they have built a new stadium that is no longer the case.

Back