Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I looked at a few (Paris, Mexico City, Montreal, Toronto). All have north to south orientation, all have lines running in the general direction they actually follow. If there is generally agreed standard, why does this have to be so different?
One cool thing about NYC subway is left to right on all the trains with either electronic leds that light up at the station you are at or on the newer trains how much time to the remaining stations on the line you are on.

I like the diagram on the right of the Prague transit map, giving you some kind of orientation. Perhaps a summary map with the lines, river and key stops - Churchill, plus NAIT/Blatchford, Clareview, Century Park and Mill Woods endpoint stations (and Health Sciences to mark the south end of the Metro line).

Does anybody know if there’s a ridership estimate for the southeast portion? Nothing came up on my search but I might’ve just missed it. If this has already been covered, I apologize
augh this is bugging me so much because i can't find the news articles i remember getting this from in the spring, I did manage to find the business case for the Valley Line West, which mentions ridership projections for the West Leg, as well as the whole line. using this, i guess the city is expecting about 38k/day first year, escalating to 70k after 25 years. They say 79k/day first year of the full 27km line opening, growing to 129k/day after 25 years. numbers are on page 5 of the linked report. (linked twice just to be double-sure)

edit: the business case cited is from March 2019, and may be built on projections that are even older. in early 2021, around when BNR was being rolled out, the service levels for the VLE was upped from '1' to '8' as specified in the P3 contracts driving the project. this was supposedly in light of increased ridership projections done since the project started, but i can't find any concrete numbers or evidence of that. in general, projections seem to be going from 31k/day in 2016 to 40-45k/day in 2021 (this is from articles I can no longer find) Anywhoodle. I think it's all astrology and divination at this point. 2022 will be the real test.

Last edited:
Why is the LRT map ChazYEG posted #2044 showing Valley Line West is approved for year 2040 assuming light green is part of the intent of that red insert chart. The chart imo should say "In Construction" for Valley Line West.

augh this is bugging me so much because i can't find the news articles i remember getting this from in the spring, I did manage to find the business case for the Valley Line West, which mentions ridership projections for the West Leg, as well as the whole line. using this, i guess the city is expecting about 38k/day first year, escalating to 70k after 25 years. They say 79k/day first year of the full 27km line opening, growing to 129k/day after 25 years. numbers are on page 5 of the linked report. (linked twice just to be double-sure)

edit: the business case cited is from March 2019, and may be built on projections that are even older. in early 2021, around when BNR was being rolled out, the service levels for the VLE was upped from '1' to '8' as specified in the P3 contracts driving the project. this was supposedly in light of increased ridership projections done since the project started, but i can't find any concrete numbers or evidence of that. in general, projections seem to be going from 31k/day in 2016 to 40-45k/day in 2021 (this is from articles I can no longer find) Anywhoodle. I think it's all astrology and divination at this point. 2022 will be the real test.
Excellent, thank you

Why is the LRT map ChazYEG posted #2044 showing Valley Line West is approved for year 2040 assuming light green is part of the intent of that red insert chart. The chart imo should say "In Construction" for Valley Line West.
It's old and was just representative of the kind of diagrammatic map they'll probably have at the stations/stops

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 2.05.08 PM.png

Back