Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

From this morning
2019-12-11 129.JPG

Interesting bet. Lots of similarities between the two, but with Crosstown being roughly 50% underground, 50% longer & with twice the stops, I'll guess Valley Line finishes first. Crosstown is a straight shot as apposed to the Valley Lines winding path and elevations but it seems some of the more challenging aspects that slowed the Valley Lines schedule have passed, hopefully we can play catch-up?
Didn't Crosstown start 2011/12?
It has with tunnel construction but station stops didn't start until 2016 and the surface section started in 2017. I should also add REM to the bet too.

@archited Nailed it on the post-tensioning:

1) The segments are getting support on temporary travelling formwork and then post tensioned ( stressed) back to the previous segment when the traveller moves to the next segment.

2) We have 1 more segment (5m) on each side to complete in January before we attach the cables. The cables will then go up as each segment moves out across the river.

3) The tower is at full height now. The formwork and hoarding surrounding the tower will be removed before the holiday break and the full tower will be visible.

Info courtesy of TransEd.

This is so utterly moronic. I don't think that BRT is a bad thing (in certain cases), but bringing this up the five-hundred-gazillionth time when it is LITERALLY one step away from being built? Ludicrous.

On a serious note, I really don't understand why these councillors felt that opening this closed and locked idea was of utmost importance. Are they scared? Did they just zone out when the rationale behind the council's decision was given numerous times before?

Hey guys, my friend Stephen Raitz made a petition on Change.org about saving the West LRT from being cancelled. I know that the motion to stop it failed at council, but it'd still be cool if you could sign it! (And also share it, too)

@Platinum107 Oh cool, you know Stephen too? We're on the EFCL Planning & Development Committee together.

Signed the petition early on, but not sure it has much value, especially after the motion failed. The main concern is now that the province might still pull funding.

@Daveography Yeah, Stephen was in the Urban and Regional Planning subcommittee in the city's Youth Council. I'm still in it, but he aged out last term. Cool dude with lots of ideas.

Oh, I hope to god the province doesn't pull the funding. It's the absolute last thing that the city OR THEY need right now. My philosophy is that, if you make a commitment, you have to hold your own and stick to it (I know this specific government didn't make it, but it's still a provincial government commitment nonetheless).

Also another interesting tidbit of engineering:

The typical height for LRT power lines is six metres. The high load corridor features nine-metre power-line clearance needed for the large vehicles and their payloads. Those oversized loads would be too tall to pass under the lower LRT power lines.

Here is the design team’s solution:

1576612742325.png

The X-wing is located at the intersection of Whitemud Drive and 75th Street near the Operations and Maintenance Facility.

The X-wing, named by the Valley Line team’s Star Wars fans for its resemblance to the Rebel Alliance starfighter, is the first of its kind in North America.

Its steel arms will raise LRT power lines up to 14 metres so that oversized loads can safely travel below. This line-lifting process, which will take about three hours, will happen overnight, and not affect Valley Line operations.

Back