Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

The point I was making is their contact included maintenance and operations not just design build as the other poster suggested. I am well aware that was only for the SE section.
Their post says "TransEd's contract is design, build, finance, maintain, operate.", but maybe they edited it.

When I went for a walking tour of the line with some city staff, I asked about this and I'm pretty sure they said it's not known yet. It could be TransEd, it could be ETS, etc. But it'd make sense for one provider to do it since there'll still only be one control facility, one heavy maintenance facility, etc.
This is why I think it was a bad idea to go with two different trainsets for the two portions of the line, which will be completely connected and operate as one. This adds unnecessary complexity in terms of maintenance, operations and parts.

Metro Vancouver does have trains from two different manufacturers on its three SkyTrain lines but the Canada Line is completely separate from Expo & Millennium and the operations and maintenance facilities are not shared. In addition, the Canada Line is run by Pro Trans BC whereas Expo and Millennium are operated by TransLink.

I'd have to agree that having two different types of LRV running on the same system is not ideal, but I'm sure Bombardier/Alstom could have gotten the order on those points alone, so did they overbid in the talks thinking they had a lock?

Then we have to consider how much less the 2nd fleet cost, apparently enough to offset those extra parts/training etc. costs... Makes me think we overpaid for the first set from Bombardier

Either it's the end of the SE line or the beginning of the West line

20230606_165719.jpg

Another day.... Another News article.. and surprise! No opening date announced.

I’m not surprised. And on May 27 2023 while on Edmonton LRT train 🚆 to CFL Edmonton Elks football 🏈 game vs Winnipeg Blue Bombers I overheard 2 Edmonton football fans talking about how Calgary built their LRT system/ park & ride lots way better than Edmonton & I do agree with them.

As on Monday May 22,I went down to the Calgary Stampeders Football 🏈 game vs Edmonton Elks. I took the Calgary C-Train & got off at Banff Trail Station & walked on the Calgary Transit LRT overpass bridge connecting Banff Trail Station to McMahon Stadium 🏟.

Yep Calgary Transit LRT system is designed better✅!
B196EBB3-D317-4568-A143-B39B03308798.jpeg

012BCEB5-132B-406D-904E-E1958226803B.jpeg

Last edited:
Edmonton doesn’t seem to plan very well. There hasn’t been any real communication on the Valley Line LRT.

Last edited:
I’m not surprised. And on May 27 2023 while on Edmonton LRT train 🚆 to CFL Edmonton Elks football 🏈 game vs Winnipeg Blue Bombers I overheard 2 Edmonton football fans talking about how Calgary built their LRT system/ park & ride lots way better than Edmonton & I do agree with them.

As on Monday May 22,I went down to the Calgary Stampeders Football 🏈 game vs Edmonton Elks. I took the Calgary C-Train & got off at Banff Trail Station & walked on the Calgary Transit LRT overpass bridge connecting Banff Trail Station to McMahon Stadium 🏟.

Yep Calgary Transit LRT system is designed better✅!

You know, there's a whole forum for Calgary transit by the way that might appreciate your unrelated anecdotes and pictures.

Back