Valley Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Pro.N

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert on this, but I would suspect the issue is less in the shape of the piers, but in the quality of the concrete work & materials. A "Y" shaped pillar is pretty standard practice. Hopefully Marigold is working to different specs, or at least checking in with TransEd as to what went wrong.

I'm sort of on the same boat here. Not an expert, but I have ordered a fair amount of concrete products through my work (structural and non-structural), and there seems to be something off about the "thermal expansion" reasoning they are giving. Concrete is such an engineered product. Maybe they ordered the wrong slump and or missed some additives or something? Having issues with 40% of your piers kinda seems like a major supply issue. Would be interesting to get a deeper look at the details regarding the issues.

Does anyone know how inspection/oversight works on a P3 like this? Id assume that the city should have some type of QA/QC/Inspection process? I'm pretty sure the City even employs concrete testers in their roadways division.

edmontonidiot

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm sort of on the same boat here. Not an expert, but I have ordered a fair amount of concrete products through my work (structural and non-structural), and there seems to be something off about the "thermal expansion" reasoning they are giving. Concrete is such an engineered product. Maybe they ordered the wrong slump and or missed some additives or something? Having issues with 40% of your piers kinda seems like a major supply issue. Would be interesting to get a deeper look at the details regarding the issues.

Does anyone know how inspection/oversight works on a P3 like this? Id assume that the city should have some type of QA/QC/Inspection process? I'm pretty sure the City even employs concrete testers in their roadways division.
I'm curious too. I work in oil and gas, and have worked on several projets and turnarounds that went way off the rails. Usually, it's mismanagement in oil and gas, not saying that it's the case here. I was working a turnaround in Fort Sask last year, and a client I was working for fired 40% of their QC's in the middle of the contract due to 'performance'. A four week turnaround turned into 8 because there was no manpower. Crazy.

awstott

Member Bio
Reaction score

Living just off 66 street near the 38 Ave stop I've been watching a lot of the construction on this line and the amount of concrete they have replaced it ridiculous - be it something as simple as curbs and sidewalks, to sections of the track bed, to the across the whitemud, to the 3 sections of the elevated track bed. Watching the trucks I believe they mostly used the same supplier for most of the concrete - Rolling Mix Concrete. The odd thing is there was a QC truck from Rolling Mix on site for most of the pours so why was there so many issues? Some of the curb stuff was PRM (Park Ready Mix - assuming a division of Park Paving).

I really wish we could submit a FOIP request to Transed and find out just how many tons (or is cubic yards a better measure?) of concrete was replaced.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
FZ5-jcBUYAIDWRy

awstott

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seemed odd that some of the sidewalks were replaced.
It's pretty standard to replace sections due to a poor cure or finish. Devlin construction did out neighborhood rehab and there are like 36 spots identified around our main road where pieces of the sidewalk need to be repaired. Too bad Devlin went bankrupt so they will never be fixed.

Some repairs make sense but not the volume we are seeing on the valley line. Wonder if some of it has to do with their winter construction and it being too cold to cure properly?

northlands

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert on this, but I would suspect the issue is less in the shape of the piers, but in the quality of the concrete work & materials. A "Y" shaped pillar is pretty standard practice. Hopefully Marigold is working to different specs, or at least checking in with TransEd as to what went wrong.
Not to worry, probably half of Marigold Infrastructure staff are from TransEd, given TransEd's construction teams were largely winding down right before Marigold began onboarding en masse.

Ironically, EllisDon is the corp looking to build the Prairie Link high speed rail line between Edmonton and Calgary, yet they can't even get concrete poured right locally here. And they got kicked off the Jameson job. Some real bad looks for them.

whatchyyc

Member Bio
Reaction score
At this point, in future lines the engineers just need to copy whatever design they used in Vancouver for the raised skytrain sections. I don't recall any of the newer lines running into these types of issues, and with the seizmic issues need to account for a lot more. It should be easier and cheaper to build the same system here, even accounting for slow load and the freeze/ thaw conditions.
Plus the gigantic gantry for stringing together the precast girders looks cool as hell