Valley Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

awstott

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would think if they are going for a Sept 4 opening they would be hyping it up big time. The fact it's been radio silence to me is indicative of another missed opening date. Mind you it is Transed and logic and common sense don't seem to apply to that group so maybe I'm wrong.

EdwardEdm

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder if there's a way to add additional bracing to the supports.
Depends what the problem is, and I don't think anyone here knows enough to even speculate what might be a fix or not. Besides, bracing onto a cracked concrete surface sounds like a recipe for more cracking and won't so much if the pier has any major issues

northlands

Member Bio
Reaction score
was back in that area today so i looked again in the sunlight. I retract my optimism. The little box has sensors wired into it, the sensors are over a couple of the cracks showing near stress points on the pier. This is not good.
View attachment 418581
oy vey

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
The future is now!
LRT t-shirt copy.png

The City of Edmonton - Archives

Canadian 001

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some Obvious Joke timeline ;)

Aug 2022: Davis Section needing Replacement
Sep 2022: Delayed to 2023
Dec 2022: Tawatina bridge Needs Reconstruction
Jul 2023: Elevated Section Collapses near Davis Station
Aug 2023: Delayed to 2025
Sep 2023: Demolition Begins At Tawatina Bridge
Sep 2023: Delayed to 2026
Oct 2023: Construction Begins at Tawatina Bridge II
Jan 2024: Reconstruction of Section Completed
Jul 2024: Crane Collapse at Tawatina Rebuild
Oct 2024: Construction of Tawatina II at 35%
Feb 2025: Tawatina II Construction is 50% done
May 2025: Delayed to 2028
Dec 2027: Testing Restarts at Valley Line South
Dec 2027: Testing Begins at Valley line West
Sep 2028: Valley Line west Opens
Sep 2034: Valley Line south Opens

I hope It Stays a Joke

BASE

Member Bio
Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth, but that doesn't sound promising for the issues we're seeing around Wagner...

Councillor Paquette responded in the thread saying the city has not had an update from TransEd which is quite concerning either way given the currently promised opening is within 44 days and counting. Also hard not to note the language being used pushing blame around away from the city. Good to see the media starting to poke around at this a bit.

northlands

Member Bio
Reaction score
It’s sad to see that a problem like this would crop up at the 11th hour. Somebody will hang for this.
As they should--this would be a lot easier to accept had they not already had concrete issues on literally the same elevated portion years ago that caused mass delays. There is absolutely no excuse here.

Reminds me of that one timeless quote from a mayoral candidate debate a bunch of years ago "Our neighbours to the south sent humans to the moon, believe it or not, a couple of decades ago. And we're still trying to figure out how to build bridges"