Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

bruh-moment-fall.gif

Good thing it's low floor.

There should be some good videos this weekend.
Took this as a challenge (even though it i'm sure it wasn't) and went out and got a couple shots of the testing.
they seemed to be going back and forth at around car-speed between the Whitemud and 38 ave. they had crews in each end so the train only had to dwell for a few seconds before reversing. only 1 trainset out that i saw, with a few more outside at the OMF. I also so a car clearly run the double red no left turn light in front of a train at the whitemud end. if the train hadn't been stopping already there would have been some scratched paint and 1 less PT Cruiser in the world. it was shocking.
anyways, here's a bad iMovie compilation of the shots I got. not much to see this time, I just felt i had to share because the drivers saw me and waved so now i feel like i have to make the resulting video public lol.
Transed Train Testing 20/02/2022

I'm really curious what the real world speed of the VLLRT is going to be. There are a lot of drivers that would never take the bus, but are willing to take the LRT if needed/convenient. In addition to the normal explanations that you hear (reliability, comfortable ride, bus stigma), I feel like this is in part due to the perceived speed of the LRT since trains on the capital line are typically matching/beating parallel car traffic.

If folks in a car see the train trundling along much slower than the they are going, I fear they won't have the same willingness to ride as they would on the Capital line.

I drove north along 66 Street along with the northbound LRT train, and it was travelling around 50 km/h. The time will probably be about even for LRT and car traffic from 28 Avenue to Whitemud, and probably the same from Whitemud to Davies Station. There could be significant time savings between Davies Station and Bonnie Doon. You could be waiting a few lights along 75 Street during rush hour, and the possibility of a train crossing the CPR tracks.

I drove north along 66 Street along with the northbound LRT train, and it was travelling around 50 km/h. The time will probably be about even for LRT and car traffic from 28 Avenue to Whitemud, and probably the same from Whitemud to Davies Station. There could be significant time savings between Davies Station and Bonnie Doon. You could be waiting a few lights along 75 Street during rush hour, and the possibility of a train crossing the CPR tracks.
Interesting to test drive a car from Millwoods Station to Churchill at the same time the train leaves. I wonder which vehicle at 8am will reach Bonnie Doon Mall stop first and then at Churchill. Just like a car - tram time will vary throughout the day.

Back