Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I drove on 66/75 Street and it looks like all signals are working. If the weather warms this weekend, I wonder if the track work will resume.
The signals are on, but working is something entirely different. A few are actually working and changing between horizontal and vertical bars based upon the traffic light phase, but, most just stay as horizonal bars which are a "do not proceed" indication, south of the Whitemud.
North of Argyll most are working right through the Connors Road.
I have yet to see any signals for crossovers to be even be turned on.

Last edited:
"DBRS Limited (DBRS Morningstar) notes that TransEd Partners General Partnership (ProjectCo) announced a further material delay in the Service Commencement date primarily as a result of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic, vandalism, slower-than-anticipated energization, and commissioning delays. [...] The Service Commencement date is now forecast to be July 29, 2022, which is beyond the Project Agreement (PA) Long Stop date of February 27, 2022."
DBRS Morningstar Comments on TransEd Partners General Partnership’s Delay in Service Commencement

"DBRS Limited (DBRS Morningstar) notes that TransEd Partners General Partnership (ProjectCo) announced a further material delay in the Service Commencement date primarily as a result of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic, vandalism, slower-than-anticipated energization, and commissioning delays. [...] The Service Commencement date is now forecast to be July 29, 2022, which is beyond the Project Agreement (PA) Long Stop date of February 27, 2022."
DBRS Morningstar Comments on TransEd Partners General Partnership’s Delay in Service Commencement
Are you kidding me....

How have we been at 95%...and the final 5% will have taken almost 2 years based on these timelines...

This is why it's so hard to get public trust to do anything in this city. Even avid supporters like me who try so hard to advocate for transit and compel my friends to support it can't stand behind 2-3 year delays. Especially on projects that are yes, big, but not unique or new in their technology.

Just pissed about this project tbh.

very frustrated by this announcement/delay.
but is it ETS' fault? the thing is still under construction and testing, all of which is Transed's job. it's a P3, which puts almost all of the management decisions in Transed's hands. if they've mismanaged, poorly planned, or otherwise messed up, especially in this pre-operation phase, isn't it Transed's failing, not ETS? I don't see how any of the Valley Line Delays are ETS' doing.
That aside, I'm glad we have a date. I can book July 29, 2022 off work, so i can ride the train. if the train isn't running, I'll spend the day writing nasty emails to Transed people or something. IDK. let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Are you kidding me....

How have we been at 95%...and the final 5% will have taken almost 2 years based on these timelines...

This is why it's so hard to get public trust to do anything in this city. Even avid supporters like me who try so hard to advocate for transit and compel my friends to support it can't stand behind 2-3 year delays. Especially on projects that are yes, big, but not unique or new in their technology.

Just pissed about this project tbh.
It is mostly on Transed in my opinion. I'm sure if you want the West line to go smoothly, you could apply for a PM job with Marigold. :) Report back in five or six years please.

I was just looking at other rapid transit projects across Canada - there isn't really a good track record of these projects being delivered on time anywhere. I imagine the "why" answer is more complex than most here would think. That said, it is easier to point the finger and be annoyed than it is to unpack the reasons why projects go off the rails.

It is included in the Project Agreement - Schedule 5 Part 4, "Stony Plain Road Bridge", page 4-47.
That’s a big spend - road, tracks and 2 sidewalks either side both 4 meters wide. Impacting traffic on Groat Road to construct. I wonder what this little piece cost as a percentage of overall contract?

Delay after delay after delay does give the sense that the people planning this really do not know what they are doing.

This plus my experience with Edmonton Transit leads me to think there needs to be a big shakeup here.
Just to clarify (not that I'm defending TransEd here): There haven't been any new delays announced as of now. This is just giving more clarity to the delay previously announced. TransEd told the city "Summer 2022", but it's telling this agency "July 29, 2022".

I'm not blaming ETS specifically, they're not building this. But the overall culture of construction and infastructure in North America is so frustrating. The idea that you can consistently be 10-25% over timelines set in contracts, costing a city millions, probably hundreds of millions in opportunity costs....it's just crazy that we settle for this.

Thankfully we aren't California trying to do high speed rail...

But it's hard to see Rogers get built in half the time of this. To know Japan for decades and China in more recent history have excelled so much at this stuff.

Back