Valley Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

EdwardEdm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Who said anything about anyone screwing up? General rail grinding and “surveying and fine-tuning” are two different things for two different purposes.

The first run of rail grinding was done to remove any defects/residue/weld marks from the construction process and to result in a smoother, more uniform rail surface so trains run quieter and more smoothly.

The surveying and fine-tuning process is much more in-depth using specialized measurement and adjustment equipment which optimizes train movement and ride comfort.
Sorry for the late reply in this one, but, the arrival of the machine in question confirmed my suspicions. You don't brining in something they say looks like a diesel locomotive for fine tuning work.
What even is fine tuning of rails? They need to be shaped to an optimum profile for the type of wheel in use. It's either the correct profile or it's not. Any fine tuning I've seen done on the Capital and Metro lines was done with portable rail grinders after repairs were made to the track.
It turns out the machine they have brought in is a milling machine. https://northamerica.rhomberg-sersa.com/en/services/urban-rail-services-milling-machines
Anyways, although TransEd's advisory is accurate that there will be only minor grinding, I will be curious to see the extent of milling operations.
Curious why they didn't just start with this machine in the first place. That what makes me wonder what they did wrong the first time.

This adjustment process adjusts the rails with methods besides just grinding the rails. You can’t do this step until you do the first.

Which methods are those?
The embedded track is enclosed in an elastomeric grout, and the exposed track utilizes direct fixation where there is really no way to adjust the rails.
Sure, on ballast and tie construction you certainly can adjust the track, but not with embedded or direct fixation.

Last edited:

yeggator

Member Bio
Reaction score
20211213_124056.jpg20211213_124102.jpg
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wide enough
To keep the train from getting to you, baby.

Kaizen

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A few more pics from this past Sunday's pedestrian access opening. It was a fun event.
DSCN8357 (2).JPG

DSCN8351.JPG

I really love the big viewing decks.
DSCN8331.JPG

DSCN8449.JPG

DSCN8393.JPG

DSCN8400.JPG

Great art
DSCN8395.JPG

DSCN8430.JPG

DSCN8433 (1).JPG

DSCN8415.JPG

A close up of one of my favourite's
DSCN8388 (2).JPG

Can't wait to see more pictures of the cable stays and tower lighting at night.
DSC_0370 (2).jpg

There are LED light strips at the base of each pillar for subtle night lighting, not too noticeable in the daylight, of course, but they were on.
DSCN8384.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN8434 (1).JPG
    DSCN8434 (1).JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 26

CplKlinger

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score