Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

West Ed had plans to extend the mall towards the Transit Centre at one point, like 10 or 15 years ago; replacing the walk through the parkade with something indoors. That plan is dead, but i wouldn't be surprised if a similar proposal comes up. on the other side of 87 ave, Aldritt owns a piece of land facing the TC. dunno what they plan for it though.
I'd love to think something will happen, even if it is small in scope. but given how the mall is jus kind of cycling right now as opposed to growing, and the suburban, static nature of the surrounding area, i'm betting it will be long after the train opens for something to happen.
Ya hopefully they at least do something about the connection to the LRT station. In the long term would be nice to see them build out mixed use residential on that side of the mall

At the very least, I hope they get rid of the parking on the path between the station and the mall entrance near the Ice Palace and replace it with a nice well-lit walkway.
I don't want to sound like a downer but I don't think WEM is interested in any type of lit path. If they were interested I think it would have been done years ago.

I don't want to sound like a downer but I don't think WEM is interested in any type of lit path. If they were interested I think it would have been done years ago.
I'll beg to differ for one single reason: 2026 FIFA's Men World Cup.
If the line is operational by then (which I believe it will be), tourists will be flocking to the mall using the LRT, and you can bet that they'll want people to have a good first impression, considering that they know they're Edmonton's largest tourist magnet.
Also, there is something different and rather more "glamorous" about train that I'll guess might have an impact on WEM's decision to make a decent oath between the transit centre and the mall, especially with the elevated guideway, etc... I can seriously see the mall using it to their advantage in several fronts. Busses are not modern and attractive (most people actually associate them with bad things), whereas usually trains, especially these modern, good looking low-floor LRTs usually sell a somewhat futuristic, urban, cool vibe that I can see he mall's administration wanting to double down on.
They're no Southgate or Kingsway, and their mindset is different from any other malls in Canada (and most of North America).

If the line is operational by then (which I believe it will be), tourists will be flocking to the mall using the LRT, and you can bet that they'll want people to have a good first impression, considering that they know they're Edmonton's largest tourist magnet.
Also, there is something different and rather more "glamorous" about train that I'll guess might have an impact on WEM's decision to make a decent oath between the transit centre and the mall, especially with the elevated guideway, etc... I can seriously see the mall using it to their advantage in several fronts. Busses are not modern and attractive (most people actually associate them with bad things), whereas usually trains, especially these modern, good looking low-floor LRTs usually sell a somewhat futuristic, urban, cool vibe that I can see he mall's administration wanting to double down on.
They're no Southgate or Kingsway, and their mindset is different from any other malls in Canada (and most of North America).
I dearly hope your right. I hope WEM see's the light and decides it's in their best interest.

I hope so too. Also, West Ed does have local ownership, so perhaps they might have a bit more interest in raising the bar here.

I am disappointed in the approach of Kingsway and Southgate, but it is not surprising, their distant corporate owners probably couldn't even answer correctly if asked what Alberta city is the U of A in.

I spotted this sign in Churchill Station.
20211126_194110.jpg

Is Churchill Stop a way of trying to distinguish it from Churchill Station? I'm not sure if the wording is a good choice sounds more like a bus stop, or maybe that is what they actually mean.

Sometimes less is more, how about just Churchill - Valley Line. If they really must use two words how about Churchill Square - Valley Line.

I get really irritated when they have to say stop or station every time. Why not just say next stop Churchill instead of next stop Churchill station.
It is meant to differentiate the size of the destination; stops are more akin to bus stops than to stations so there is a tangible difference. What I don't get is why they just didn't roll Churchill 'stop' under the station banner, since they're meant to connect the lines anyway. With the connector there, I don't think they need to consider these as two distinct entities.

Back