Valley Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

thommyjo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, lets see what's going on with bigger projects in Canada:

LRT line in Eglinton pushed by 2+ years. Construction started in 2011!

LRT in Ottawa delayed by 15 months

LRT in Waterloo/Kitchener delayed by 2 years?

And what about the over the world:

LRT delayed in Tel Aviv by 3 years and over budget

Anyway, don't wanna waste my time. Delays are no good but omg stop this silly whining.
I remember taking a class on quality assurance and control in uni. Fascinating to see the difference between japan and other asian nations vs north america. Ford said the same thing as you when challenged about the quality of their cars. Yet toyota seemed to figure it out.

I refuse to settle for delays and cost overruns. Better can and should be expected. Stuff happens, I get it. But in 6 years, if you can't make up time from delays, that shows a lot. Lack of accountability and penalties.

This isn't like an experimental hyperloop thing. It's a low floor train that has been built all over the world. Yes, there are contextual pieces. But im tired of excuses from our city. We get taken advantage of constantly because tax payers have almost no power compared to shareholders...

Be better or get fired. That's how it works in most businesses.

Edmonchuk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I remember taking a class on quality assurance and control in uni. Fascinating to see the difference between japan and other asian nations vs north america. Ford said the same thing as you when challenged about the quality of their cars. Yet toyota seemed to figure it out.

I refuse to settle for delays and cost overruns. Better can and should be expected. Stuff happens, I get it. But in 6 years, if you can't make up time from delays, that shows a lot. Lack of accountability and penalties.

This isn't like an experimental hyperloop thing. It's a low floor train that has been built all over the world. Yes, there are contextual pieces. But im tired of excuses from our city. We get taken advantage of constantly because tax payers have almost no power compared to shareholders...

Be better or get fired. That's how it works in most businesses.
It's almost a generalization. Japan has its share of issues and is not perfect. But hey, you as a tax payer can very much use your power and vote for your mayor/city counsellor. Not sure what else you want. We don't live in a perfect world.

Last edited by a moderator:

cliffapotamus

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's not the city mismanaging things though, in the case fo the Valley Line SE? it's Transed? isn't that a huge part of the P3 contract they have, that the city's oversight is severely limited? I recall that being a factor in the city having to hire external auditors to get updates on the line. The City itself isn't building either of these lines. how much affect do they actually have on planning?
I do have more faith that the West leg will be on time, because the timeline seems more realistic. 5-6 years to build approximately the same length of track as the SE sounds more reasonable, and seems to match what Transed was able to do. I think the 3-4 year Timeline Transed originally had was crazy.

yeggator

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone know why is takes quarterly reports so long to release? For example, the quarterly report for Q2 2021 reviews activity from April through June, but it took until September for them to release it. Now, Q3 is done, but the quarterly report still hasn't been released.

The_Cat

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone know why is takes quarterly reports so long to release? For example, the quarterly report for Q2 2021 reviews activity from April through June, but it took until September for them to release it. Now, Q3 is done, but the quarterly report still hasn't been released.
I’m guessing around mid-December.

thommyjo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sounds like you're expecting a lot man. Don't be so hard on them. It's covid. Would rather the report be done right than on time. Lots of cities are late on their reports too.

😁

MacLac

Member Bio
Reaction score
Couldn’t believe the number of buildings that are bordered up along Stony Plain Rd. Especially that sketchy old hotel around 152nd? There’s also an entire strip mall bordered up and fenced along with at least a dozen or so more. Are these expropriations for the West line? Or merely smart business acumen amongst the landlords and getting go to build new stuff?

thommyjo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Couldn’t believe the number of buildings that are bordered up along Stony Plain Rd. Especially that sketchy old hotel around 152nd? There’s also an entire strip mall bordered up and fenced along with at least a dozen or so more. Are these expropriations for the West line? Or merely smart business acumen amongst the landlords and getting go to build new stuff?
As a resident 3 blocks south... its rough up there right now. No one in our areas really crosses 100th Ave. Really optimistic about the future, but my sense is the next 2 years will suck, then we'll start to see projects come as the line gets closer to completion. The crime, homelessness, and shuttered stores is as bad as the quarters/boyle area

Jasper Gates is badly needed to get the ball rolling. Then 5+ residential projects like the recent ones on Whyte with podium bays are needed as well. Stony in 15 years will hopefully be close to where 124th is now. But it'll be a slow build without more "forces".

_urbanite

Member Bio
Reaction score

Honestly, some of those businesses weren't exactly thriving or adding much to the street or neighborhood, so it's probably for the better in the long run

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tawatina Bridge update: the MUP across the bridge is coming along nicely, and you can finally see some work done on the bike/pedestrian paths and the trees that will be planted.

20211015_170747.jpg

20211015_170757.jpg

20211015_170817.jpg

20211015_171711.jpg

20211015_171722.jpg

20211015_172615.jpg