Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Another major project late multiple years...

Arguably could have been ahead of schedule with covid slowing road use. Tired of this.

Yes, there are project delays, but I feel the excuses from the City of Edmonton are becoming a bit too tired and repetitive.

To me, it indicates some underlying lack of planning or competence. Particularly troubling is that deadlines seem to have totally disappeared and no one (at least the public) knows anymore when this might be done.

Perhaps the City will update us on this soon with some more firm deadlines. I hope so, because I feel this is degrading into total confusion.

Its not the big delays that get me, its the little things that are not getting done. Its like with the stone work. they get started then they don't come back for a few months, then do some minor shit then are gone again. there are to many little things left to do. and I am in agreement that this will not open this fall. Looking at the bridge. That is more than a moth away. The connector should have been done already but like all on this project they seem to forget there are things to do.

Purposefully?
No, I think as a result of the City's outdated design specs for transit which specifies that (only) overhead radiant heat is to be provided at transit facilities. There are already panhandlers in this corridor, even with the inhospital temperatures, but what it really does is create an uncomfortable environment for everyone else and take away the ability to walk indoors without a jacket in winter.

102 Street station
20210921_163143.jpg

The road west of this station was being paved as I walked by
20210921_163320.jpg

102 Street station
View attachment 350587

The road west of this station was being paved as I walked by
View attachment 350588
Marigold to TransEd, “hey guys, don’t bother paving this stretch, we’re coming back in the spring to work on “our” portion of this road. It would be silly to spend money on this.” TramsEd to Marigold, “Naw, we’re good, beat it, we’re spending tax dollars on this soon-to-be-ripped up stretch of road.”

Taken September 22, 2021

20210922_085316_HDR.jpg
20210922_084922.jpg
20210922_085408_HDR.jpg
20210922_085509_HDR.jpg

An amazing location for this convenience store. This is located right near the ramp to the LRT stop.

20210922_085039_HDR.jpg

Another example of not thinking about simply finishing the job. What would it have taken to complete the sidewalk instead of laying sod and then someone has to come back to link the sidewalk to the multi-use trail. By the way this will be a high traffic area one the LRT is open.
20210922_084756.jpg
20210922_084904.jpg
No signs of anyone to finish this off, just easier to keep the intersection closed.
20210922_090413.jpg
20210922_090521_HDR.jpg
20210922_090618.jpg
I ask again why can't they just finish off the little patches of sidewalk and then it's done. These sections have been like this for weeks with no progress.
It is no wonder why they may be hard pressed to be complete before the snow flies. The entire valley line has dozens and dozens of little unfinished patches of work in various states of incompletion.

No, I think as a result of the City's outdated design specs for transit which specifies that (only) overhead radiant heat is to be provided at transit facilities. There are already panhandlers in this corridor, even with the inhospital temperatures, but what it really does is create an uncomfortable environment for everyone else and take away the ability to walk indoors without a jacket in winter.
I think the City's approach is to make any shelters as small and open as possible, heat them as little as possible, make the sight lines as bad as possible, so you have to go outside anyways if you are waiting for a bus.

I don't know who designs these things, someone from a tropical climate who has never heard of winter. We can have some fairly cold weather for a number of months in the year.

Then they wonder why people don't take transit and LRT. One reason is because people don't want to freeze their *ss off.

Back