University Heights | 23m | 6s | Westrich Pacific | EFG Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@Hugh Jazz -- Yes, Doug will have two offices -- he is going to retain his Ottawa office and also share an office with myself and J.Murray McCombs a master architect and urban planner based in Washington D.C. In Edmonton we will be operating under the unincorporated moniker "TriArch" supporting the endeavors of three companies -- RoadShowz, Inc. (RoadShowz North Corp. in Canada), StreetSeenz, Inc. (StreetSeenz North Corp.in Canada), and PersPICacity Clipz, Inc. All companies in tow, we have signed a lease for the entire Pendennis Hotel building on Jasper Avenue between 96th and 97th streets. We have already begun recruiting staff to fill various roles when the COVID-19 subsides sufficiently to move forward with operations. In a go-slow effort we are already working on a number of proposals that include concepts for various parts of the City -- we had planned on releasing concepts last spring; COVID tripped us up. On several proposals we are teaming up with LEDR to complete projects in downtown Edmonton and on Alberta Avenue.

@Hugh Jazz -- Yes, Doug will have two offices -- he is going to retain his Ottawa office and also share an office with myself and J.Murray McCombs a master architect and urban planner based in Washington D.C. In Edmonton we will be operating under the unincorporated moniker "TriArch" supporting the endeavors of three companies -- RoadShowz, Inc. (RoadShowz North Corp. in Canada), StreetSeenz, Inc. (StreetSeenz North Corp.in Canada), and PersPICacity Clipz, Inc. All companies in tow, we have signed a lease for the entire Pendennis Hotel building on Jasper Avenue between 96th and 97th streets. We have already begun recruiting staff to fill various roles when the COVID-19 subsides sufficiently to move forward with operations. In a go-slow effort we are already working on a number of proposals that include concepts for various parts of the City -- we had planned on releasing concepts last spring; COVID tripped us up. On several proposals we are teaming up with LEDR to complete projects in downtown Edmonton and on Alberta Avenue.

Well I don't know how I missed that Mr. Cardinal was a part of your crew - extremely exciting. This will be such a huge boost for Edmonton.

On a related note - do you know if he still owns that incredible house out in Stony Plain?

@Hugh Jazz the Stony Plain house belongs to his ex-wife in a divorce settlement many years back. He plans on designing a new house for him and Idoia somewhere in the Edmonton region (the hunt is on). One of our sideline projects will be to redesign 103 Avenue connecting City Hall to the Administration Building in the Ice District. It will be a self-funded project making it very hard for the City to ignore. When you see what Doug has come up with it will blow your mind to smithereens. This will show the City the huge potential difference between passive design and active design.

Description: To construct a new 6 storey (195 unit/dwelling) rental Apartment Building (Phase 2) on a 2 level parkade structure (Phase 1 - 30889880-008)- University Avenue Apartments
Permit date: December 7, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (01) New
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Apartments (310)
Address: 11450 - 80 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: MCKERNAN
Zoning: RA8, RA8, RA8, RA8
Value: $29,273,125.00

Agreed. It's great that we have so many strong educaitonal institutions, but the brain drain is real afterwards. I studied business at the UofA and now live in the GTA. Most of my friends moved to calgary, vancouver, toronto or cali also. Jobs drive most of it. I'm hopeful that remote working and cost of living could encourage more people to consider places like Edmonton though. Very cheap compared to most big cities. Any ideas on what could help edmonton attract and retain young architects and other higher-ed professions?
i'm a bit of contrarian on this one... imho, our approach here is a bit backwards and parochial and doomed to failure.

we will never be successful in having our young stay. young people move because that's what young people do regardless of where they grow up. they leave edmonton the same way they leave cold lake and hinton and vancouver and toronto and chicago. the key is not for us to stop that, the key for us is to be considered a viable destination for young people when they leave cold lake and hinton and vancouver and toronto and chicago. even if they ultimately return home, they will be taking a familiarity and contacts and connections with them that stand us in good stead.

at the same time, we should be encouraging our young people to leave for cold lake or hinton or vancouver or toronto and chicago to broaden their horizons and their exposure but ensuring that when they are ready to settle permanently and raise a family and cement a career that edmonton is considered a viable home for them to do that and when they do they can come home with a broader skill set and experience and best practices that will also stand us in good stead as well as them.

@Hugh Jazz the Stony Plain house belongs to his ex-wife in a divorce settlement many years back. He plans on designing a new house for him and Idoia somewhere in the Edmonton region (the hunt is on). One of our sideline projects will be to redesign 103 Avenue connecting City Hall to the Administration Building in the Ice District. It will be a self-funded project making it very hard for the City to ignore. When you see what Doug has come up with it will blow your mind to smithereens. This will show the City the huge potential difference between passive design and active design.
I gotta say Ted, we sure are lucky to have visionaries like you and Doug gracing Edmonton. Considering what gets approved here, and the bureaucracy you folks deal with, you're truly the heroes that we need but don't deserve. You're helping to make Edmonton a better and more sustainable city for future generations, and I'm grateful :)

On another note, I took some pictures the other day; some from the front, and some from the rear (is that what she said?).
20210331_162325.jpg20210331_162229.jpg20210331_162226.jpg20210331_162724.jpg20210331_162736.jpg20210331_162749.jpg20210331_162759.jpg

Westrich has updated their website and has added the following renderings for this project. Based on their website, it looks like they are now also working on projects in Kelowna, Calgary and Ottawa!
90D3C8CE-F735-4C7B-8D73-E60BAE4558A9.jpeg

Attachments

• C7ED3310-1F4F-496E-8CA1-D6B3DEFEE055.jpeg
    C7ED3310-1F4F-496E-8CA1-D6B3DEFEE055.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 3D8693DE-64DD-4593-908D-FBEA4F86AA2C.jpeg
    3D8693DE-64DD-4593-908D-FBEA4F86AA2C.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 130

Back