Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Truly embarrassing, but without knowing the constraints imposed on them by VLRT, who knows. That said, there is no excuse for the state of the site.
What's Regency's excuse for the Emerald?

We resurrect these conversations about site conditions on this thread every few months but Regency is not interested in addressing their sites and the City doesn't seem interested in enforcing bylaws impacted by the site conditions.

We should expect more from owners of brownfields in Edmonton.

This is what they should do with the site while they are figure out what to build. Doing this adds vibrancy to the street which in turn adds value to the land and reduces the risk involved with development. West Edmonton Mall already does this with those kiosks.
IMG_2385 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
Here's an idea - if only they would quit tearing down perfectly usable buildings and leaving a mess for years and years, that would help.

Its a combination of bad judgement and an I don't care attitude that reflects very badly on the company, but I suspect they don't care. Sadly, some are better at destroying things than building them.

What's Regency's excuse for the Emerald?

We resurrect these conversations about site conditions on this thread every few months but Regency is not interested in addressing their sites and the City doesn't seem interested in enforcing bylaws impacted by the site conditions.

According to Anne Stevenson there were supposed to be new bylaws introduced to penalize derelict sites such as Tower 101. I've heard nothing since her first Facebook chat a few months ago, might be time to hound her on this again.

Maybe we'll see some movement on this site once they're done with Holyrood Gardens?
I hope not, terrible scheme as it stands. Needs a new developer and design team with some actual vision and respect for materiality. Literally the center of Downtown and they want to put up a cheap spandrel glass condo. 🤷‍♂️

The site would be great as a park akin to smithe and richards in Vancouver.

I hope not, terrible scheme as it stands. Needs a new developer and design team with some actual vision and respect for materiality. Literally the center of Downtown and they want to put up a cheap spandrel glass condo. 🤷‍♂️

The site would be great as a park akin to smithe and richards in Vancouver.
I think this area would be suited well with what they're trying to build here. The renders aren't too inspiring, but a highrise (something there's not a lot of in the core) with a hotel could work out very well in this spot. I like the park in Vancouver and I'd definitely support having one somewhere in the core but not in this spot. A new developer is a good route to go on too.

329FC328-9C84-424E-B26A-0A6E947DB5B7.jpeg

This thread now has over 500 posts... how many posts will there be by the time something is constructed?

I'll set the over/under at 750.5, given 121 West is pretty leased (may sell?) and Holyrood Gardens tower is about to start leasing up so they will have their plate getting pretty empty soon... but also I think it's going to be hard to make 250 more posts about the exact same thing the prior 500 were about.

This thread now has over 500 posts... how many posts will there be by the time something is constructed?

I'll set the over/under at 750.5, given 121 West is pretty leased (may sell?) and Holyrood Gardens tower is about to start leasing up so they will have their plate getting pretty empty soon... but also I think it's going to be hard to make 250 more posts about the exact same thing the prior 500 were about.
I just hope the more of the Holyrood Gardens gets built right away though.

As for this downtown property, I'd be happy with a mix of retail, hotel and residential, I don't think we will see the need for offices for a long while.

I just hope the more of the Holyrood Gardens gets built right away though.

As for this downtown property, I'd be happy with a mix of retail, hotel and residential, I don't think we will see the need for offices for a long while.
Given what has happened so far which is nothing, the owners may eventually realize this is beyond their capabilities and sell it to someone else who will come up with other (hopefully better) ideas and that is how I think Tower 101 will end.

The location would argue for some office/retail component, but the current market would lean towards hotel and residential.

A different name, likely to remove association with this failure, but a similar idea, just (better) executed by someone who can pull it off.

Back