Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
P4190531.jpg

Saw the Clark sign on there last week, but figured it was for some interior work happening next door since I couldn't find any permits on this one. Turns out...

Vacant Jasper Avenue building could become The Wedge
About two weeks ago, a sign for Clark Builders went up outside the space Edmonton realtor Oliver O'Connor purchased in 1997 for $170,000.

Now O'Connor plans to build a 10-storey, 34-unit residential building with the main floor and basement reserved for restaurants or other commercial development.

Clark Builders has been hired as construction manager and local architectural design firm Holo-Blok will design the project.

O'Connor said it will be the first building of its kind in the city.

"We're bringing in something that would be in Vancouver or New York … or Paris," he said, "a smaller building that's being developed into something larger."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jasper-avenue-building-wedge-1.4636558

Attachments

• P4190531.jpg
    P4190531.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 1,589
Reference ID: Job No 276602461-002
Description: To demolish an existing Commercial Use building and to construct a new eleven (11) Storey mixed-use building (Basement and Main Floor: Commercial Uses, Floors 2-11: 34 Dwelling Apartment House). (The Wedge Building)
Plan NB Blk 3 Lot 157
Applicant: HOLO - BLOK ARCHITECTURE INC.
Create Date: 7/24/2018 3:33:59 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

I like the idea of this project! It will be interesting to see some concept drawings.

I got a sneak peek at the design for this today, while speaking to one of the principals at Holo-Blok. It's a really cool and unique design and I'm really hoping to get permission to share it in the story I'm working on.

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but I really hope this goes forward. Given its context it will really stand out, in a good way.

EDC formal tentatively scheduled for November 20. Being built under the existing HA zone, so no rezoning required.

I have been excited to see the design from the get go, as this is a very interesting parcel of land to build on!

Attachments

• View at Back Alley East.png
    View at Back Alley East.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 527
  • Sidewalk Looking West.png
    Sidewalk Looking West.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 572
  • Sidewalk Looking East.png
    Sidewalk Looking East.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 530
  • Site Plan.png
    Site Plan.png
    1 MB · Views: 625
  • View at Back Alley West.png
    View at Back Alley West.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 598
  • Context_Front Elevation.png
    Context_Front Elevation.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,515
  • View from CWB.png
    View from CWB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 563
  • View from Shoppers.png
    View from Shoppers.png
    818.7 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
WOW that looks very good! :D

This is definitely a concept that is kinda foreign to our city, as we have so much area to expand and this is such a tightly squeezed building. Sill looks very good, though!

In my opinion this design is nothing short of brilliant! Like the Mackenzie Tower proposed for around the corner, the concept gets lighter towards the top, solidly anchoring the base -- notice how the Jasper Avenue balcony strands separate as succeeding floors progress upwards. It humourously suggests that the left portion of the building (facing from Jasper) was forcibly wedged onto the site, squeezing the more historically oriented brick structure (on the right) to one side. The placement of windows on the "wedge" portion exaggerate that sense. An east-west angular distortion is emphasized by the rectilinear windows which are squared true to Jasper Avenue. The front elevation is very comic-book like and stands out in stark contrast to the historical buildings on either side without attempting imitation and, yet, somehow making the other two more relevant to the street scene.
The super-graphic murals on either of the blank wall sides are magnetic (as are most on other Edmonton buildings). The only improvement that I might suggest here relates to making the graphics a multi-media effort with some colored glass portions that illuminate interior spaces.
I give this design solution 9.5 out of 10.

Back