The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
If the Stantec Tower is any indication, this tower may sit half-empty for a while. Mind you, this tower may fill better if it is mixed-use with a good chunk of hotel space and a few floors of office space plus its attachment to the Convention Centre.
100%

Hotel + Office + residential + shopping/entertainment would make for a great mix. If we get to have the outdoor integration with the river valley, too, it can become a draw for a lot of people

Not sure if this is controversial but I am starting to feel that I hope this tower ends up being much shorter than initially proposed. I hope something gets built, and that they can keep the interesting podium/valley interaction., but not sure if the height would be a net positive. 🙃

Of all the buildings real or proposed, this tower would make the most sense for an observation area/deck given its perch over the valley and staggering view potential.
or one might say that of all the buildings real or proposed, this tower with it's particularly small floor plates, it's uses, and its height would make the least sense for an observation area/deck given the dedicated/lost space required for things like elevators and exiting etc. that would be needed to make it work. the space required for the observation area/deck is probably only a fraction of the overall useable/saleable space that would be lost to incorporate it.

or one might say that of all the buildings real or proposed, this tower with it's particularly small floor plates, it's uses, and its height would make the least sense for an observation area/deck given the dedicated/lost space required for things like elevators and exiting etc. that would be needed to make it work. the space required for the observation area/deck is probably only a fraction of the overall useable/saleable space that would be lost to incorporate it.

Respectfully disagree.

Take the top two floors, use one as a observation deck and the other as a restaurant/event space.

Respectfully disagree.

Take the top two floors, use one as a observation deck and the other as a restaurant/event space.
except it’s not just taking the top two floors is it?

even if you only service them with one elevator, you will lose 12,000 sf in the floors below, 24,000 sf if you decide that an observation deck and a restaurant and event space need two elevators.

and that’s assuming the increased occupancy load at the top isn’t going to trigger wider stairwells all the way from the top to the main floor.

and that’s just for starters…

To play devils advocate here, you could utilize a single set of elevators programmed with Fobs to goto the observation deck only. I just don’t think it’s very practical as those elevators will already be quite busy with homeowners, let alone putting a tourist attraction on top. And as the design stands, the floor plate would make for a tiny observation deck, comfortably only holding a dozen or so people with a lack of amenities.

I’d love to see it, I just see issues that make it too impractical without a major tower redesign.

Gotta agree with Ken on this one. That floor plate is tiny.

The podium space however, will make for a phenomenal community attraction if built as imagined.
Well let's wait and see what the final-ish design looks like, as I highly doubt the latest iteration we've seen will be what is finally proposed for construction.

Not sure if this is controversial but I am starting to feel that I hope this tower ends up being much shorter than initially proposed. I hope something gets built, and that they can keep the interesting podium/valley interaction., but not sure if the height would be a net positive. 🙃
What "can keep the interesting podium/valley interaction"? There is no podium in this space now. This a prestigious location and the very best location in the city to showcase a mixed-use Tower. Of course a large sweeping podium than connects the park below and river valley will be a component of that. But having a hotel, residences and offices and connection into the convention centre and Canada Place is a win this city needs.

71A62377-DE98-4214-84E9-952E2467FAAF.jpeg

I was told by Alldritt insiders that I should look to this for inspiration on what we will get.

Hopeful that Aldritt will stick with their initial plans and use that historical brick they have stored for the podium. If they could accomplish anything close to what was done with Kelley Ramsay's podium along with a sleek designed tower, we'll have something really special. This is their chance to be the premier showpiece of downtown.. Just do it right. Stantec had that chance but failed.

Back