The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
(Hey Psst -- can you keep a secret) Alldritt owns the land north of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral abutting the south side of Jasper Avenue on 96th Street. Here they will be building their "presentation center" for the 80-storey tower; they also own the parking lot south of of the ROC which will provide parking for those checking out the "presentation center". I'll stake my reputation on this happening soon...

(Hey Psst -- can you keep a secret) Alldritt owns the land north of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral abutting the south side of Jasper Avenue on 96th Street. Here they will be building their "presentation center" for the 80-storey tower; they also own the parking lot south of of the ROC which will provide parking for those checking out the "presentation center". I'll stake my reputation on this happening soon...

You have teased us before @archited but I will like this again.

Hey just because BCM couldn’t make a stick frame building that didn’t eventually leak, doesn’t mean they couldn’t pull off a Manhattan style project like the Edmontoniannn

Take a risk WCJ!
Does Aldritt have a history of high rise? I think they are more into the suburban development side of things based on their website. We are coming up on five years since they announced this thing. I just don't know what kind of working capital they have themselves. This tower won't be cheap given the location.

Let’s not get too excited …. It’s been a while and who knows if the render we are seeing on the top of the page will survive the VE butchering.
That render is no longer representative of the project. We've known that for a while, since some massing studies surfaced last year showing something that might end up being a New-Art-Decò building. I'll try to find the post for you and quote it here.

Does Aldritt have a history of high rise?
Alldritt has split into two separate Corporations -- Alldritt Land Corporation LP - https://www.alldrittland.com/ and Alldritt Homes - http://alldritthomes.com/ I have it from an upper management level source within the company that they are going to proceed with their Presentation Center on land adjacent to the high-rise site. I don't understand why one would think that Alldritt Land would engage in the site amassing and the agreement with the City (complicated and time consuming in its own right) and then go through two separate architect's offices on the design side, and then call a "time-out" when COVID struck to think that this meant the project had stalled. This is probably the most severe hillside site in the City with underground coal seams and abandoned shafts so it requires intense study and fairly complicated design engineering -- Gene Dub alluded to this with his re-imagining of the tower. Alldritt (Land) is still very much engaged in this project. Conventional sources of funding have hit the pause button through the COVID experience and it has affected all development companies in equal measure.

It has also been mentioned that this is a legacy project for Aldritt as the company and the family name. Their general experience may not be in high-rises and this may very well be their first and last with so much involvement. Although they have cleared some prominent urban lots and put their sign up (124 street and 142 street that I know of) so we may see more highrises from them in the future.

If all it took was a sales office, our downtown would have much less parking lots. Many have put up sales offices over the last several years with nothing to show for it. I remain skeptical given there isn't really much publicly available information on Aldritt and what their own financial capital is, let alone other sources of funding. I'm all for being hopeful, but there are other prominent projects that are seemingly a go, so conventional funding hasn't dried up completely. If anything, conventional funding is starting to flow into the industry again. I'm cautiously optimistic about this project as I always have been.

I called the Alldritt Group again to see if anything changed since my last phone call. It's still on hold because of the pandemic and how much of a wrench got thrown in the market, but they're hoping that once things finally settle down they can resume work on this. I also brought up the history section on their website, and asked if they would consider adding Indigenous knowledge from how they used the land before colonization. Turns out, they tried to do that but just couldn't find anything about that specific location; there's much more information pertaining to the Flats compared to the top of the hill. I gave her the email for an Indigenous Professor at the UofA who's also a knowledge keeper for the Papaschase First Nation and might be able to help them, and she said she'd pass it on. She said it's important to do especially with the recent focus on reconciliation, so I'm crossing my fingers they reach out to him.

I called the Alldritt Group again to see if anything changed since my last phone call. It's still on hold because of the pandemic and how much of a wrench got thrown in the market, but they're hoping that once things finally settle down they can resume work on this. I also brought up the history section on their website, and asked if they would consider adding Indigenous knowledge from how they used the land before colonization. Turns out, they tried to do that but just couldn't find anything about that specific location; there's much more information pertaining to the Flats compared to the top of the hill. I gave her the email for an Indigenous Professor at the UofA who's also a knowledge keeper for the Papaschase First Nation and might be able to help them, and she said she'd pass it on. She said it's important to do especially with the recent focus on reconciliation, so I'm crossing my fingers they reach out to him.
March 20.

Back