The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
As was pointed out to me on the weekend. Companies like Qualico and triple 5 play the long game. Qualico's office in Winnipeg was once way out of town. Triple 5 bought land west of the Henday. I believe Aldritt is the same way. It'll get done, just not at the speed we all expect.

As was pointed out to me on the weekend. Companies like Qualico and triple 5 play the long game. Qualico's office in Winnipeg was once way out of town. Triple 5 bought land west of the Henday. I believe Aldritt is the same way. It'll get done, just not at the speed we all expect.
It could be a long term thing, but it was presented as something more immediate and it seems not to be happening so far. This and it being out of Aldritt's normal type of project are what have led to a lot of skepticism here.

It could be a long term thing, but it was presented as something more immediate and it seems not to be happening so far. This and it being out of Aldritt's normal type of project are what have led to a lot of skepticism here.
i think a lot of the skepticism comes from a misunderstanding of time frames and the definitions of "immediate".

to the public, immediate if not today or tomorrow is at least in the next year or two. they also want to see it done and then they want to see the next thing done.

the developer - and the city although with a different lens and different criteria - are concerned about how it perform after it has been delivered and the impacts it will have physically and financially over the next century or longer. there's not much difference over the course of the next century between something started this year or next year or two or five or ten years from now, particularly if that results in the development of something successful vs something unsuccessful.

for perspective, very few people know exactly when the cn tower was built even if they have some idea of the era. the same would be true for the old bay building or the mercer block, for the hotel mac or the westin,

i'm more concerned with the right things being executed and delivered properly than just with things being delivered immediately. besides, like us, i'm pretty sure aldritt didn't have a line item for a 2 1/2 year pandemic, work from home mandates, travel restrictions, supply chain breakdowns, inflation, rising interest rates and the pending risk of a recession. what was potentially immediate before those things probably needs a different timeframe and potentially different resolutions to be viable today (some of which may simply come down to having to wait for a bit). and, for what it's worth, those probably affect their "normal type of project" and cash flows every bit as much as the affect this one.

I don't think it is just a misunderstanding of time frames. I think this was presented as something that could go forward fairly quickly and it has not.

There may be valid reasons why it hasn't happened, but after a certain amount of time people start to wonder if it really will and I think that is valid too.

Some people were confidently saying this was moving ahead just a few months ago ... now its 10 years.

Perhaps it may go ahead eventually, but the shifting time frames are not encouraging.
perhaps i missed it but i don't recall aldritt ever actually announcing a start date for this project (other than accepting that 10 years from 2019 approval sunset on commencement).

any expectations based on conjecture from anyone outside of alldritt or outside that time frame are built on quicksand. the fact that projected time frames from some people who aren't directly involved and don't control the process are changing or not being met is meaningless. you might as well pay attention to those who insist that construction would never start as to those forecasting it will start tomorrow.

all of the time frames that have been tossed around have been based on nothing more than conjecture regardless of how well or how poorly informed those making it may have been. our arbitrarily picking any time frame is therefor based on what we would prefer to take place. choosing any of them to believe in and accepting it as a baseline against which to try and measure performance is a mug's game.

perhaps i missed it but i don't recall aldritt ever actually announcing a start date for this project (other than accepting that 10 years from 2019 approval sunset on commencement).

any expectations based on conjecture from anyone outside of alldritt or outside that time frame are built on quicksand. the fact that projected time frames from some people who aren't directly involved and don't control the process are changing or not being met is meaningless. you might as well pay attention to those who insist that construction would never start as to those forecasting it will start tomorrow.

all of the time frames that have been tossed around have been based on nothing more than conjecture regardless of how well or how poorly informed those making it may have been. our arbitrarily picking any time frame is therefor based on what we would prefer to take place. choosing any of them to believe in and accepting it as a baseline against which to try and measure performance is a mug's game.
Yes, the people confidently predicting it would start this spring were not official representatives for Alldritt. I do not know if they have any business relationship or connection with Alldritt or not to base that on.

However, I don't think when the project was put forward it was said it would not start for 10 years. I believe the impression was given it would be much sooner, whether that was an official deadline or not.

Also, when you start focusing only on 10 years (presumably because it is the deadline in the agreement), I think it can't be still regarded as a likely project. A lot of things can happen over that time, both expected an unexpected. So I think that only adds to the skepticism about this going ahead.

Back