The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I am still surprised to see the steady stream of condo proposals coming down the pipeline for Calgary compared to the tiny drops dripping for Edmonton.
Surprised by that as well since no one in that city has any money - whose living in these things? Oh wait, no one but they keep on building. Real estate agents down there must be renting/selling units to a lot of shaved monkeys wearing suits.

The ninnified nabobs of negativism will always put Edmonton in last place and since we can't see the results until the race has run we will have to wait until post COVID to see who is right and who is wrong. I am in touch weekly with a number of Edmonton-based developers and it is their optimism that drives my confidence. I know from having lived in Eastern Canada for some years that Edmonton is viewed there as some distant cow-pasture wannabe City. I suspect that perception is slowly changing, especially since recent announcements put central Alberta as the place where Canadian economic recovery lies. I am patient -- so we will see.
I am 100% support your comments.
Time will decide who's right or wrong and I can tell you're right.

oh man, that's hylarious.

The Central/Downtown condo market in Edmonton is incredibly weak/depressed/eviscerated and might be the weakest in Canada.
I for one am happy that Edmonton’s real estate market - condo or sfh - is flying under the radar and doesn’t have the affordability insanity of Ontario and BC. It’s a huge strategic advantage post covid.

And as cool as this tower is, I’d much rather have 4 shorter buildings in the Quarters with people actually living in them. Less empty glass towers like other cities and more vibrancy (as cliche as the word is).

The ninnified nabobs of negativism will always put Edmonton in last place and since we can't see the results until the race has run we will have to wait until post COVID to see who is right and who is wrong. I am in touch weekly with a number of Edmonton-based developers and it is their optimism that drives my confidence. I know from having lived in Eastern Canada for some years that Edmonton is viewed there as some distant cow-pasture wannabe City. I suspect that perception is slowly changing, especially since recent announcements put central Alberta as the place where Canadian economic recovery lies. I am patient -- so we will see.
I'm not trying to be negative but from my experience, developers can be equally enthusiastic about building a small building versus a large one. In the development world talk is cheap, I prefer to see action. I am on your side, and I really want you to prove me wrong.

Unless we pursue time travel and go back to reverse the decision on this, I'm all for it going forward (even at 25-40 storeys) so long as the terraced portion is included to connect/tie-in the Convention Centre and that a public space/park is preserved at grade.

A direct-connect hotel is fundamental for the success of any modern conference centre.

Unless we pursue time travel and go back to reverse the decision on this, I'm all for it going forward (even at 25-40 storeys) so long as the terraced portion is included to connect/tie-in the Convention Centre and that a public space/park is preserved at grade.

A direct-connect hotel is fundamental for the success of any modern conference centre.
Has the height changed? Did I miss something?

In any event, it would make sense to have another hotel nearby.

Aldritt has lately been a highly conservative, slow moving company, but apparently this will be a legacy project so it may move forward unlike other high rise sites they own.
People keep saying it will be a legacy project. I feel like that doesn't carry a much weight in this case nor does it really have much meaning other than the fact that they would like to build a tower here.

I will admit the pandemic may have slowed things down and we are only 4 years into their sunset clause of 10 years. However, this feels strangely similar to the Edmontonian where every year or so we get a few crumbs to pique our interest.

Back