The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
^^^^ the condo market in Edmonton is likely stronger than most other Canadian markets if we ignore the COVID phenomena -- DINKs are the new workforce primarily and they like to be where the action is. We just need to see the COVID influence waning. Edmonton hasn't had a chance at the "exclusive" condo market yet with enough differentiation in types.

^^^^ You will be proved wrong over the next two years. (But then, again, you won't admit that you were wrong you will just change your opinion and say something like "oh I was referring to condos that allow pets" or something equally as baseless). You keep looking at present conditions -- you seem to have no capacity to look into the future.

You said 'is' (and not very sure at that)which is present tense.

There are some things on the horizon that are encouraging but the current market is abysmal and so I stand by my comments.

^^^^ You will be proved wrong over the next two years. (But then, again, you won't admit that you were wrong you will just change your opinion and say something like "oh I was referring to condos that allow pets" or something equally as baseless). You keep looking at present conditions -- you seem to have no capacity to look into the future.

I mean I don't know what is to argue with about IanO here... Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, probably Ottawa, Hamilton, Calgary all have stronger condo markets. I guess one of the strongest in Canada if you're comparing us to Winnipeg and Regina...

There's a variety of reasons that each of those cities markets are strong, supply not keeping up with demand, antiquated zoning, foreign investment, AirBnB, the Agriculture Land Reserve etc., but it doesn't change that there just isn't that big of a demand for DT condos in Edmonton right now.

It's true it could take off in the future, especially since urban living can become a positive feedback loop, but it's still pretty uncertain

(The change from "Edmontons market is strong" to "Edmontons market will be strong" was also a very conditional bend in opinion if we're throwing that phrase around😉)

I am still surprised to see the steady stream of condo proposals coming down the pipeline for Calgary compared to the tiny drops dripping for Edmonton.

oh man, that's hylarious.

The Central/Downtown condo market in Edmonton is incredibly weak/depressed/eviscerated and might be the weakest in Canada.
I am not sure if it is the weakest, but I would have to agree at this time it seems quite weak. Of course, things can change dramatically and I think it is likely there will be some significant change post COVID and also with a significant general economic improvement in Alberta.

I think many forecasters (particularly those in Eastern Canada) have got into a rut of preconceptions, based on how the last few years have gone. So at this point, perhaps it takes some optimism, courage and imagination to see the improvement coming.

The ninnified nabobs of negativism will always put Edmonton in last place and since we can't see the results until the race has run we will have to wait until post COVID to see who is right and who is wrong. I am in touch weekly with a number of Edmonton-based developers and it is their optimism that drives my confidence. I know from having lived in Eastern Canada for some years that Edmonton is viewed there as some distant cow-pasture wannabe City. I suspect that perception is slowly changing, especially since recent announcements put central Alberta as the place where Canadian economic recovery lies. I am patient -- so we will see.

Back