The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
What's the deadline again? Was it a 5-year window from City Council approval? I can't even remember now. Seems like a lifetime ago... I still want this one to go up. Badly... East Jasper Village still seems like a war zone set piece from "28 Weeks Later" if you ask me although there have been some great efforts to rehab and revitalize the area... We all know who you are... ;-)

They will have to construct the temporary park right away, by this spring/summer if they don't start the tower.
The contract from spring 2018 states that Alldritt Land Corp. has up to 10 years to build, they must either start within 2 years or build a temporary park in the interim.

I think everyone should be prepared for ALLDRITT FUTURE REDEVELOPMENT SITE Park for the next while before we see any tower sprout up.

I think everyone should be prepared for ALLDRITT FUTURE REDEVELOPMENT SITE Park for the next while before we see any tower sprout up.

I don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone. 142st Street & 102 Avenue. 125th Street & Stony Plain Road. The Alldritt family certainly made their money, but they have become the official developer of sodded lots with a white barrier fence around them.

Completely out of scale for the area. Dwarfs important historic structures like Gibson block, and will create glut of condo, hotel, retail space in area. Development of empty lots just north of site are needed. Site originally intended as park space and should as it is last river valley spot available on jasper ave. They restricted the height of double tree hotel for these reasons which that developer willingly obliged.

Not sure if this has been said here, but browsing through the building's webpage, I found this:

"History has been a key design element in all aspects of this project. Historic brick has been collected (many tens of thousands coming from the Riverdale brick yard, which matches the old brick buildings in the area), and other building materials which have been part of Edmonton for the last 105 years or more."

Now, the original renders, which we know are not going to be the final product, doesn't seem to have any brickwork on them, and did seem a bit out of place for that area. I like the idea of using old bricks and original salvaged material in the public area and the podium, of well done, can blend in with the old brick brick buildings in the area (Flatiron, Brighton Block, Pendennis...) And give a lot of character to the building.

Also, the website has been updated recently to include the current design phase as " ongoing", instead of being a future step.

1612799237207.png

I just got off the phone with someone from Alldritt; I called them to get a sense of what the status of this project is. She said that it's still in the works, but got put on hold because of the pandemic. She hasn't been given any official timeline, but she's guessing that it'll start moving ahead again next year. She was not able to tell me anything else.

Back