The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
El Mirador backside and a bit of the future Central Park, I still wish they (city & developer contributions) could have slid the salvageable parts of the structure over a bit and repurposed it for Central Park somehow. I realize it's not really practical, but it's the thought that counts. So here is just a fun thought...
2020-10-17 042.JPG

A portion of the reconstruction to be utilized as a services/utility building for the Central Parks many many, many features, though the majority of it repurposed into leasable space, Spanish food anyone?
Crazy idea #1) turn part of it into a carriage house for the Central Park horse-drawn carriage rides. Edmonton's history is layered deep in dung from over a century ago of such carriages trotting all about town, year-round. Imagine the sight of the carriages trotting down the 102Ave SUP into the Quarters, maybe a stop at the farmer market for some carrots. Or the Capital Boulevard tour that takes you to the Legislature grounds, that's a nice place to take a snap or two. If the Highlevel Line ever happens, and it will, there's the High View tour that takes you into Old Strathcona.
I also get that the Spanish revival architecture is not really relevant to Edmonton, but it's so unique and a cool part of our history, and it works. I think we should go out of our way to salvage something old because our past history in that regard is not that great (Brighton Block being a fine exception) and in this case, though, new construction could be a large part of it without compromising what is good about the El Mirador.
🍷🍷

Attachments

• 2020-10-17 043.JPG
    2020-10-17 043.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 122
El Mirador backside and a bit of the future Central Park, I still wish they (city & developer contributions) could have slid the salvageable parts of the structure over a bit and repurposed it for Central Park somehow. I realize it's not really practical, but it's the thought that counts. So here is just a fun thought...
View attachment 277602
A portion of the reconstruction to be utilized as a services/utility building for the Central Parks many many, many features, though the majority of it repurposed into leasable space, Spanish food anyone?
Crazy idea #1) turn part of it into a carriage house for the Central Park horse-drawn carriage rides. Edmonton's history is layered deep in dung from over a century ago of such carriages trotting all about town, year-round. Imagine the sight of the carriages trotting down the 102Ave SUP into the Quarters, maybe a stop at the farmer market for some carrots. Or the Capital Boulevard tour that takes you to the Legislature grounds, that's a nice place to take a snap or two. If the Highlevel Line ever happens, and it will, there's the High View tour that takes you into Old Strathcona.
I also get that the Spanish revival architecture is not really relevant to Edmonton, but it's so unique and a cool part of our history, and it works. I think we should go out of our way to salvage something old because our past history in that regard is not that great (Brighton Block being a fine exception) and in this case, though, new construction could be a large part of it without compromising what is good about the El Mirador.
🍷🍷
IMO this is the project with the most potential to make a positive impact in our downtown core, if done right. I can`t wait to see it break ground and get us rid of this eyesore and start to frame the future central park`s area.

I think the new development would be a great improvement to the area and makes sense. After all, it is steps away from an LRT entrance. This is exactly where higher density like this make sense.

Having said that, I like the El Mirador and even though it doesn't historically represent anything broader, it is unique and it is a link to an older Edmonton's downtown. I think any idea that tries to incorporate it or a portion of it into the development or the even in the area is worth considering. If we don't want our city to become a modern but bland place, we need to make more effort to keep unique and quirky parts of our history.

^ Is the Money Mart or whatever it was still operating there also?

I remember in early 2019 when the dry cleaners had a fire I thought that was it for that building... still wish that were the case.

^ Is the Money Mart or whatever it was still operating there also?

I remember in early 2019 when the dry cleaners had a fire I thought that was it for that building... still wish that were the case.
Still listed on their website. I'm not going to be the one to call and ask when they are closing though. 😆

Still listed on their website. I'm not going to be the one to call and ask when they are closing though. 😆
Yes, it's still operational and, so far, no news regarding closing the store anytime soon, as far as the Regional Managers know. I just recently spoke to the one under who this store is.

Ah, this is one of my favourite projects in the whole city and I hope to BEJESUS that it happens if what we're being shown is true to plans 🥰

I'd buy in here in 5 years potentially. Really hope it gets going soon. My wife and I want to buy a place to raise kids DT. Looking for more modern builds, close to park space, with 2+den options. Not a lot of those right now. Hoping developments like this can change that.

Back