The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I feel given the proximity to the LRT and the location, it was almost inevitable for something to be built here. Two of the other corners of nearby 108 and Jasper have already been developed.

I would have preferred the Jasper Ave portion of the development be done first. I am not sure why that did not happen. I do miss the character of the apt building, but I think on the list of historic buildings here, a California style building from the 1930's is probably a long way down. This project will definitely bring more people to the area and if done well activate the area more too.

I feel there are pro's and con's to this development, but I do think if the issue is historic preservation there are probably at least a half a dozen other better battles to fight than this (which at this point is actually already over).

El Mirador also faced the problem of if it was fully renovated properly rents would have gone up perhaps causing a big turnover in tenants (just guessing) that is the problem on the "community' side. The other issue that always arises is the vacant lots we would like to see developed aren't always those the people wanting to build own or have the ability to acquire.

Here's a thought -- the El Mirador had absolutely Zero -- Nada -- Nil -- Nicht -- Nay -- Nein -- No Architectural merit whatsoever. It may have had some minor historical reference value -- bringing it up over and over again in this thread may improve your "Message" and "Reaction" score on this website but it doesn't change the fact that what is replacing El Mirador is far, far, far superior architecturally and will be a much better community builder -- an all round improvement.

I'm not at all upset over the loss of El Mirador. It wasn't anything noteworthy and they were incredibly rundown and crummy. There are a LOT of buildings to be genuinely infuriated or upset about that got the wrecking ball in this city, but this (to me) isn't one of them.

The Parks is the most exciting project dt these days. Once fully built out (in conjunction with the Warehouse District Park) will make this area aesthetically pleasing and more suited to a major city located in a wealthy province. I just wish that they started by demolishing the derelict buildings facing Jasper first and proceeded with that condo that will be planned to take their spots. Here's hoping that gets started before this current one is fully built out.

Here's hoping that gets started before this current one is fully built out.
My bet is that the connecting mid-rise starts when this one is topped out, and the south tower starts when the current one starts occupancy. Thumbsuck prediction would be that the current tower tops up late-spring 2024, with late fall occupancy, and south tower tops up early spring 2026 and occupancy in early fall 2026.

Last edited:
My bet is that the connecting mid-rise starts when this one is topped out, and the south tower starts when the current one starts occupancy. Thumbtack prediction would be that the current tower tops up late-spring 2024, with late fall occupancy, and south tower tops up early spring 2026 and occupancy in early fall 2026.
That's a good prediction and I really hope the timelines more or less follows exactly what you laid out.

IMG_1613.jpeg

Screenshot from the video Pagnotta just posted to their Instagram 😍

I feel given the proximity to the LRT and the location, it was almost inevitable for something to be built here. Two of the other corners of nearby 108 and Jasper have already been developed.

I would have preferred the Jasper Ave portion of the development be done first. I am not sure why that did not happen. I do miss the character of the apt building, but I think on the list of historic buildings here, a California style building from the 1930's is probably a long way down. This project will definitely bring more people to the area and if done well activate the area more too.

I feel there are pro's and con's to this development, but I do think if the issue is historic preservation there are probably at least a half a dozen other better battles to fight than this (which at this point is actually already over).
Considering it was the only building like that in Edmonton, I do think it had more historic value than folks are giving it in this thread. @archited just so you're aware I'm not replying for a boost to reaction score. However, I can understand living in Ojai may make someone take such architecture for granted and find Toronto-esque condos more exciting.

Last edited:
I have two somewhat contrary thoughts on this:

1) The idea that older buildings should be torn down to make way for the new and modern is exactly why we have lost our Carnegie library and old post office. Trends come and go, and we could find ourselves one day really lamenting the loss of El Mirador.

2) Developers build on the land they own. It is irrelevant whether there are other, more important vacant lots that could be built on. If the owners of those properties won't sell, developers will develop the lots they are able to purchase.

Maybe we need to create more positive incentives for retaining these types of buildings.

Perhaps we can make a thread about lost historical buildings for folks to commiserate over.

Going back to the current development, anyone know what all the steel beams are for? There are quite a few in one of the pictures I posted on the previous page.

If you are referring to the pile of round columns with square bases they are form supports for successive floor supports -- temporary placement until the concrete floor sufficiently cures -- but maybe I am not looking at what you are referring to.

If you are referring to the pile of round columns with square bases they are form supports for successive floor supports -- temporary placement until the concrete floor sufficiently cures -- but maybe I am not looking at what you are referring to.
Nope, not those. Second last picture. Looks like structural steel.

Those are also sections of floor forms -- you can see them in the same picture being used on the building running 90-degrees to the way they are stacked -- they are ganged to make positioning them in place an expeditious effort hoisted in place with the crane. Again the caveat is "if we are talking about the same steel joists" (and the floor forms that goes with).

Back