The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lesser amount of online shopping, remnants of the 60-70s where people really chose to come Downtown and the big box phenomenon... among other things.

Kinda sad really.
Yes, all those things and Unity Square seems to be very bustling. While I think more people living downtown may help somewhat, it really is no magic solution and the problems go beyond the number of people living downtown.

I think we need to be more realistic than just raw raw lets get more people living in the area and it will solve all the problems.

This kind of thing is why I think our issues downtown are more one of narrative than they are of any particular statistic. Edmontonians believe downtown is dangerous, dead, and hard to navigate. We need to change that viewpoint before anything else will happen. We need to be much better at selling what is already good about the core. I love living downtown, there's nowhere else I'd rather live in the city. One day I want to own a condo here; but people in Edmonton really genuinely just don't understand what an urban lifestyle can look like or how it's great. I once mentioned the price of a nice condo to a friend and they were aghast I was willing to pay that, because "I could get a house for that." They couldn't for the life of themselves understand that I don't want a house.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm very excited to see any movement at all on this site. I think this project - in terms of mindshare - will have the most transformative impact on the core out of anything starting in the near future. That corner of Jasper Avenue is a depressing mess, and Capital Boulevard is oozing with unmet potential.

This kind of thing is why I think our issues downtown are more one of narrative than they are of any particular statistic. Edmontonians believe downtown is dangerous, dead, and hard to navigate. We need to change that viewpoint before anything else will happen. We need to be much better at selling what is already good about the core. I love living downtown, there's nowhere else I'd rather live in the city. One day I want to own a condo here; but people in Edmonton really genuinely just don't understand what an urban lifestyle can look like or how it's great. I once mentioned the price of a nice condo to a friend and they were aghast I was willing to pay that, because "I could get a house for that." They couldn't for the life of themselves understand that I don't want a house.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm very excited to see any movement at all on this site. I think this project - in terms of mindshare - will have the most transformative impact on the core out of anything starting in the near future. That corner of Jasper Avenue is a depressing mess, and Capital Boulevard is oozing with unmet potential.
100% in Canada sadly the house being better than condo mindset is super set. Even in Toronto and Vancouver, if people could afford a house, they would. Their downtowns are only dense cause its the only type of housing people under 35 can afford.

The Parks and this new warehouse park can really help shift that hopefully. This will fill in a major gap for our core.

This seems like a Jan 2022 start as we are on holidays
Most projects start in the summer or fall
I'd disagree. In my experience projects start....when they start. It all depends on a number of things - timing of development approvals (especially rezoning which can take months), timing of securing enough pre-leases, timing of lining up your financing, timing of getting your construction budget locked down to align with your proforma, etc. Yes, there typically is a 'schedule' we establish and monitor/revise as we move along but oftentimes things don't line up as you'd like them to. So construction starts when everything lines up - winter, spring, summer or fall. Now, this is different then land development where a spring start is essential for your schedule. Two different worlds really.

Last edited:
I for one don’t care if I agree, understand or am able to comprehend the responses given on this forum. It’s okay to ask for clarification, but it’s not okay to leave passive aggressive comments or not quite insulting but also not exactly friendly comments on peoples character because of the way they choose to construct their sentences. Weird. Didn’t know sentence structure was such a societal issue here on earth… English isn’t my first language either. I think this forum would be useless if we all had the same level of intelligence. Imagine society if people weren’t allowed to be more knowledgeable… we’d still be shitting in holes. I mean you would, I don’t shit. Forget it. Point is, I appreciate what everyone has to say. No matter if it’s conflicting with my views or not. I have learned a lot from this forum. After all, we will all eventually die and no matter what you believe in or don’t. One thing that’ll always be left behind even when we leave is our words, so choose them wisely.

I for one don’t care if I agree, understand or am able to comprehend the responses given on this forum. It’s okay to ask for clarification, but it’s not okay to leave passive aggressive comments or not quite insulting but also not exactly friendly comments on peoples character because of the way they choose to construct their sentences. Weird. Didn’t know sentence structure was such a societal issue here on earth… English isn’t my first language either. I think this forum would be useless if we all had the same level of intelligence. Imagine society if people weren’t allowed to be more knowledgeable… we’d still be shitting in holes. I mean you would, I don’t shit. Forget it. Point is, I appreciate what everyone has to say. No matter if it’s conflicting with my views or not. I have learned a lot from this forum. After all, we will all eventually die and no matter what you believe in or don’t. One thing that’ll always be left behind even when we leave is our words, so choose them wisely.
Are you not paying attention to what's happening in the world up there? WE NEED ANOTHER FLOOD AND WE ARE WAITING.

I am going to try be a bit more positive here. First of all, the people who post and read posts here have a range of knowledge and experiences. This is not just a private club for those in the know.

I particularly appreciate those people here who make an effort to provide additional information and explanation in their posts and don't just assume everyone knows or gets what they are saying.

I am going to try be a bit more positive here. First of all, the people who post and read posts here have a range of knowledge and experiences. This is not just a private club for those in the know.

I particularly appreciate those people here who make an effort to provide additional information and explanation in their posts and don't just assume everyone knows or gets what they are saying.
Here here good sir.

I also want to point out that petty bickering may stand out, but it doesn't reflect the community as a whole. This site is decently moderated and I'd say I've only ever seen a couple of petty insults here amongst a vast amount of quality opinions, insights, and points of views. Lets not lose sight of how good this place is either. Lest ol' Steve-O perch himself in his rocking chair with his pipe and slippers to start telling stories about the good ol' days at C2E.

Last edited:
I see that AB major projects has this permit listed at a “100M.” Think that’s high for just a 35 storey tower and parkade? Seeing as Falcon 1 only has a 53M permit for 30 storeys. Or maybe it’s for the 1st tower, parkade and 12 storey portion?

F39925EB-7FFC-4830-916B-B171F8764CBC.jpeg

It looks like work is officially starting with shoring beams and crew on site this morning!! 🥳

Back