The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I hope you're right, but IMO the lack of integration is more of a now thing rather than before. Capital Line LRT was plumbed in well with the downtown pedway system, the U of A, and Southgate. The Metro Line failed to integrate well with Kingsway, MacEwan, and Rogers Place. Hell, they struggled hard to integrate the existing signal system with the new one.

I sure hope the Valley Line is tied in a helluva lot better.
Not sure if you are aware but the Valley Line is planned as "urban style" which for the City means running along streets and small stops so it isn't going to have massive infrastructure around the stops. City should encourage WEM/misericordia hospital to build pedways to the stations, but this would be the landowners obligation as neither are City property. Highly doubtful this is in the plans, it doesn't show up in any of the drawings. Over time you will see increased private interest in connecting to the LRT, I have no doubt about that.

Not sure if you are aware but the Valley Line is planned as "urban style" which for the City means running along streets and small stops so it isn't going to have massive infrastructure around the stops. City should encourage WEM/misericordia hospital to build pedways to the stations, but this would be the landowners obligation as neither are City property. Highly doubtful this is in the plans, it doesn't show up in any of the drawings. Over time you will see increased private interest in connecting to the LRT, I have no doubt about that.

I was a little too vague, my opinion was towards landowners/developers. You seem to agree here when you say the City should encourage a pedway, but will most likely not happen as the cost will be the responsibility of the landowner. As was the case with Southgate I presume.

I also was not singling out Edmonton as being the issue in this city alone. It is merely the current situation as in many cities not yet dense or populous enough where the demand for higher quality / integration is expected and failure to do so will affect your bottom line.

Not cost - back in the day Southgate had a view that the pedway would attract crime/undesirables so refused to connect the mall to the station.
Is there something you can give is that confirms they said that was the reasoning, or at least part of it?

Regardless if it's true or not, this kind of thinking does exist, and is so ridiculous and it makes me feel really disappointed at the state of things here. In this example, making people take the stairs/elevator up to the pedway, then take them back down, and force them outside so they can get inside the mall makes no sense and is moronic and lazy. What would it have cost the city and the property management of the mall to work together and link the second floor of Southgate to the station with a short pedway?? In literally any other major city with temperature extremes like ours this would been such a no-brainer decision for both parties and a win-win-win situation: The city gets better connections and utilization of the LRT, the mall gets a direct tie-in to a rapid transit service and a larger customer base, and the transit users get so have an easier commute without having to spend too much time outside in a climate that works against them half of the year. Hopefully a connection can be added in the future once the city and developers alike get their asses off of auto🚗-pilot and collaborate on better integration.

I've become really passionate about integration of development and transit if you couldn't tell.

Last edited:
Is there something you can give is that confirms they said that was the reasoning, or at least part of it?

Regardless if it's true or not, this kind of thinking does exist, and is so ridiculous and it makes me feel really disappointed at the state of things here. In this example, making people take the stairs/elevator up to the pedway, then take them back down, and force them outside so they can get inside the mall makes no sense and is moronic and lazy. What would it have cost the city and the property management of the mall to work together and link the second floor of Southgate to the station with a short pedway?? In literally any other major city with temperature extremes like ours this would been such a no-brainer decision for both parties and a win-win-win situation: The city gets better connections and utilization of the LRT, the mall gets a direct tie-in to a rapid transit service and a larger customer base, and the transit users get so have an easier commute without having to spend too much time outside in a climate that works against them half of the year. Hopefully a connection can be added in the future once the city and developers alike get their asses off of auto🚗-pilot and collaborate on better integration.

I've become really passionate about integration of development and transit if you couldn't tell.
I think with the finger pointing between the mall and the city, both are probably to blame for this terrible situation. It was a failure of leadership.

We like to think the people who run cities and large properties are smart, but this is an example of petty stupidity by both and no, going outside for a few feet is not going to deter crime.

Ugh, the Southgate situation is so stupid. when I was in Uni i had to drive occasionally; the trick i used (I only had to drive once a week, but it always worked) was to park in the almost-empty parkade on the East side of the mall, the walk through the mall to the train, then onwards to school. despite all the signs, i never got caught. I always thought it was so dumb that they had a huge, underutilized parkade there, and the train right on the other side, forcing foot traffic through the mall itself, and no one ever thought to do a park and ride lot on the upper parkade deck or something. A pedestrian bridge between the mall and station would have made the whole thing seamless.
There seems to be a severe issue with tunnel vision with these property owners, that only drivers shop, and giving away your 'precious' parking, even if you have way more of it than you need, will hurt business somehow. The Transit-phobia is also deeply frustrating. i remember hearing/reading somewhere that when the Metro Line was built, it was originally going to be next to Kingsway, where the old TC had been, but the mall's owners didn't want the ETS riffraff tromping around so they made ETS move it to where the station is now. I don't understand. Have these people literally never taken a bus before? It's for normal, working people, including ones who want to shop!

I'm told not to expect much movement further on this site until 2022.

Not even excavation, piling and shoring? Due to Pagnotta’s blurb about “starting concrete work in May 2022?” Couldn’t one say the pit would need to be ready for May 2022….and it would take that long

I'm mostly trolling, I got told start of January they're looking to ramp up, so really with holidays it's a month of idle--but saying 2022 felt WAY more dramatic.

Also, I have no affiliation with Ledcor so this is all with a grain of salt and just what gets relayed to me.

We’re starting to get like the States….with the whole country shutting down from American Thanksgiving till the 2nd week in Jan…so not surprised nothing until Jan

Last edited:

Back