The demolition of ‘The Lookout’​

The downtown revitalization plan may mean more historic
buildings like El Mirador may be things of the past​

By Brett Holden

The downtown revitalization plan may mean more historic​

By Brett Holden
An interesting article, but if we are "over zoned" downtown, then how come there aren't that many people actually living downtown?

However, I do agree we don't value historic buildings and a diversity of buildings downtown. This is partly what has made what was lively, interesting and human scale downtown area more modern, but colder and blander (just look at historic pictures to see what I mean).

We do have to make more of an effort to keep historic buildings, particularly those that are unique, in good condition or salvageable to be repurposed - not just default to tearing them down.

The downtown revitalization plan may mean more historic​

By Brett Holden

Hmmm, an article like this is where I agree with some things and disagree with other things

It is true that Edmonton has had a bad track record at maintaining historic buildings and that we need to do better, however certain points like "It’s the move towards densification that will doom any historic buildings surviving in the downtown core," and "“A lot of downtown is over-zoned," don't really sit well with me personally. We can maintain our historic buildings and at the same time support the development and densification that our downtown desperately needs. In fact. I believe that they help each other in most cases.

Hmmm, an article like this is where I agree with some things and disagree with other things

It is true that Edmonton has had a bad track record at maintaining historic buildings and that we need to do better, however certain points like "It’s the move towards densification that will doom any historic buildings surviving in the downtown core," and "“A lot of downtown is over-zoned," don't really sit well with me personally. We can maintain our historic buildings and at the same time support the development and densification that our downtown desperately needs. In fact. I believe that they help each other in most cases.
When a historic building without any formal protections is rezoned to something like HDR, RA9 or DC2 though, unfortunately Council doesn't have many tools to prevent it's demolition. One tool used in Calgary, density bonusing, is something that would work well in situations like this to 'transfer' that additional density to a different lot in order to leave the historic building standing. I hope that is something the City looks at with the new Zoning Bylaw.

When a historic building without any formal protections is rezoned to something like HDR, RA9 or DC2 though, unfortunately Council doesn't have many tools to prevent it's demolition. One tool used in Calgary, density bonusing, is something that would work well in situations like this to 'transfer' that additional density to a different lot in order to leave the historic building standing. I hope that is something the City looks at with the new Zoning Bylaw.
I would say though that there is no area in the entire city primed for increased density and the renewal of streetscapes, transit connections, and general feel, than that of the Warehouse District Park and the Capital Boulevard. I think it’s important that this area be completely redeveloped to add a heart and sense of completeness to the downtown Urban fabric. This is my community, and honestly sometimes it feels like a desert with a couple old rickety shacks.

I

I would say though that there is no area in the entire city primed for increased density and the renewal of streetscapes, transit connections, and general feel, than that of the Warehouse District Park and the Capital Boulevard. I think it’s important that this area be completely redeveloped to add a heart and sense of completeness to the downtown Urban fabric. This is my community, and honestly sometimes it feels like a desert with a couple old rickety shacks.

I
Agreed, and a lot of that redevelopment can occur on parking lots or demolishing existing buildings with little to no heritage significance.

Running by, apologies for the quality.
DSC01128.JPG

Last edited:
Agreed, and a lot of that redevelopment can occur on parking lots or demolishing existing buildings with little to no heritage significance.
Yes, exactly. In some ways it is easier in this area, because there are a number of lots that have no buildings on them or existing small buildings with little or no heritage value.

However, before just we rush to bulldoze everything, we need to think carefully. There are some buildings that represent the character of the area and we really need to focus on this.

Ideally this area could become a nice mix of older smaller buildings and newer larger ones. If anyone has been to Yaletown in Vancouver, they might have an idea of what it possible here.

Yes, exactly. In some ways it is easier in this area, because there are a number of lots that have no buildings on them or existing small buildings with little or no heritage value.

However, before just we rush to bulldoze everything, we need to think carefully. There are some buildings that represent the character of the area and we really need to focus on this.

Ideally this area could become a nice mix of older smaller buildings and newer larger ones. If anyone has been to Yaletown in Vancouver, they might have an idea of what it possible here.
I agree with this, much of the old brick buildings right in front of my condo (Monaco 2) include the craft gallery, Khazana, etc. Those definitely add character and can be properly integrated into the community surrounded by new developments.

It's not unusual to see them torn down, but just because they aren't historically significant doesn't mean they should be considered for their character value.

Back